No announcement yet.

Golf

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• As there are still a vast majority of PGA Tour guys still playing there, the value long-term is in the PGA Tour. It may make sense for some players to jump ship, but for most, they will be better off trying to make in on the PGA Tour than to take the money on the LIV Tour.

Understand your value. For Phil and DJ, along with some other older golfers, it may make sense. Get your money. Be happy. I don't care.

But for the young guys coming up, it doesn't make sense at all.
    "In God we trust, all others must bring data." - W. Edwards Deming

Comment

• What kind of signing bonus are they offering "up and comers"? I realize random NKOTB isn't going to get DJ Eff U money, but the numbers are borderline ridiculous.

With weak fields that aren't deep (increasing the ability and likelihood of a big day at some point) it would make sense to me to cash a 7 figure signing bonus (even just a mil) to play in this thing.

For instance, I will forego the Senior Tour if the LIV is interested in my talents.

Also, I almost forgot to mention, but I am literally shaking at the lack of equality for women in the LIV tour.

Comment

• The Saudies coughed up $2B just for signing bonuses.

Comment

• 14 LIV golfers are playing in the US Open. Only 3 were under par today. Average score was 4 over par.

Comment

• Mrs SDO and I went to the Wichita Open today and had a good time. It was her first professional golf event. The course was beautiful, the weather this morning was tolerable, volunteers were courteous and helpful. We enjoyed our time and watching some fun golf. Once the heat set in we had to give up. She doesn't do heat well since her heart valve replacement. This is a great event and I would encourage anyone with any interest in golf to make your way to Crestview this weekend.
            Go Shocks!

Comment

• Originally posted by ShockerDropOut View Post
              Mrs SDO and I went to the Wichita Open today and had a good time. It was her first professional golf event. The course was beautiful, the weather this morning was tolerable, volunteers were courteous and helpful. We enjoyed our time and watching some fun golf. Once the heat set in we had to give up. She doesn't do heat well since her heart valve replacement. This is a great event and I would encourage anyone with any interest in golf to make your way to Crestview this weekend.
              As a 33-year volunteer of the WO thanks for treating your bride to this great event. So many great players and human interest stories. Great community event that I am proud to support. The WO will donate probably just over $250,000 to local charities this year. Thanks again!

Comment

• When does the Korn Ferry Tour begin?

I just wish it would come through here a little earlier. The heat is just miserable to contend with in this type of event. You would think they would start in the Deep South in late winter work their way up to us by April or May and hit the northern states during the summer.

It is a fun event though. Any chance Wichita ever upgrades to a PGA stop?
                Deuces Valley.
                ... No really, deuces.

- a smart man

Comment

• Originally posted by ShockerFever View Post
                  When does the Korn Ferry Tour begin?

I just wish it would come through here a little earlier. The heat is just miserable to contend with in this type of event. You would think they would start in the Deep South in late winter work their way up to us by April or May and hit the northern states during the summer.

We start in January and February in warm weather climates...Bahamas, Panama and Columbia. The schedule then moves through the south and southeast part of the U.S. before coming to the mid west in May and June.

It is a great event here in Wichita, but unfortunately we will never be given a chance at the big stage of the PGA for several reasons. Any new event is typically given to a venue in a bigger market. The PGA TOUR also looks at iconic golf courses. In our area Prairie Dunes is considered one of the best 15 courses in America, but Hutchinson just can't facilitate the requirements for a PGA TOUR event. Tom Devlin would like big-time events at Flint Hills, and has hosted USGA amateur championships, but the property just isn't conducive for the all the ancillary components of a PGA TOUR event. Wichita is perfect for the Korn Ferry Tour and we are considered at or near the top event on this Tour. I am so proud of our community and its support of this event. We will write checks for over $250,000 to local charities this year and accommodate nearly 55,000 fans for the week. If your bored and want to keep up on the action at Crestview this week, tune into ESPN radio 92.3 FM from 1-5 pm today through Sunday where Mike Kennedy, myself and our on-course reporters will provide live, continuous play-by-play. I know, golf on radio...ha, ha, ha. We have a blast doing it though.

Comment

• Originally posted by ShockerFever View Post
                    When does the Korn Ferry Tour begin?

I think it was previously in July or August. Mid-June is typically a much better time for the weather. But this year is a beast. Was out yesterday afternoon on the 17th hole and it wasn't bad in the shade, but it was pretty bad if you got in a spot that was sheltered from the breeze.

Comment

• Watching the US Open. I really like what the USGA has done to Brookline. A good, hard, fair test with opportunity to both go low and implode. Hope the weekend stays interesting.

A little annoyed with the commercials. So many "play through" spots, then shortly thereafter, regular spots. Perhaps my meter is broken but it seems a bit much.

NBC announcers (outside of Mike Tirico who I think is above everyone) seem to have tried hard to demean Phil at every turn. Please tell me I'm wrong and the NBC wokeness hasn't seeped into it's golf coverage.

Comment

• Originally posted by WuDrWu View Post
                        Watching the US Open. I really like what the USGA has done to Brookline. A good, hard, fair test with opportunity to both go low and implode. Hope the weekend stays interesting.

A little annoyed with the commercials. So many "play through" spots, then shortly thereafter, regular spots. Perhaps my meter is broken but it seems a bit much.

NBC announcers (outside of Mike Tirico who I think is above everyone) seem to have tried hard to demean Phil at every turn. Please tell me I'm wrong and the NBC wokeness hasn't seeped into it's golf coverage.
                        I think there is a definite anti-LIV tinge to the broadcast. Not sure it is specifically about Phil or that he is just the most high profile.

Comment

• "You Just Want to Slap The #### Outta Some People"

Comment

• It is painful to watch Lexi Thompson finish these majors.

She was 2 up with 3 to play. Short par 5 that she is capable of reaching, she bails out short, leaving a dicey chip. She wildly tries to scoop it, sails it over the green, then decides to putt from 15 feet off the green, blows it by 20 feet, misses her par putt and by some miracle manages to make the bogey. As easy birdie and a gimmie par hole, she bogeys and is tied at -5.

On 17 completely comes out of her swing but manages to stay in the fairway. Hits the wrong side and high of a ridge leaving an extremely difficult (and completely unnecessary) over the ridge, downhill sliding 20 footer. Actually hit a decent putt but too much pace. 5 feet coming back and literally never had a chance. Totally clutched the putt and tapped in for another bogey. Now 1 behind, she blows her tee shot on 18 deep into the rough, hitting a fore caddy. Has a decent (lucky) lie. Good for her, she probably got a bit lucky, but a great result at least giving her a decent look at a birdie from about 15 feet. The leader, from the perfect spot in the middle of the fairway, gets an unlucky bounce past the pin to the back edge of the green. A two putt from there would be an excellent outcome. Lexi at least has a chance.

Chun, the 3rd round leader, who had her own problems yesterday and again today, runs it by about 5 feet. An excellent effort from that distance. Lexi, clearly rattled, never gave it a chance. Didn't even get it to the hole, on a downhill 15 footer that she HAD to make. Chun, who had as much as a 7 shot lead yesterday, but trailed by 2 with 3 to play, makes her 5 footer to win her 3rd major.

The implosions this talented young lady has endured over the years is heart wrenching.

Comment

• The still affected by the pandemic golf season gives us back to back weekends of International competition starting with the Solheim Cup this weekend.

Play started around 1AM this morning with the Americans sweeping the foursome competition. Leading 4-0 they went out with the fourball starting around 6:30am.

The Euros have played much better and lead late in all 4 matches. As opposed to the morning rounds which were quite pedestrian, the late matches today have been full of dynamite shot making. There have been 2 or 3 chip ins, an ace by Emily Pedersen from Denmark (both Americans playing first hit inside 5 feet, almost clinching a birdie) and the surprise to me has been the play of Lexi Thompson from the USA. Lexi is supremely talented by has struggled mightily with pressure and especially putting. She's been under the gun all day with little help from her partner at times. Yet she's made several tough putts and rolled in about a 25 footer for eagle after driving the par 4 13th (I think it was the 13th). Both teams making tough putts under pressure, the late matches have been enjoyable.

I suspect the 4-0 lead the Americans had after the first round will be all but gone in about 45 minutes or so. USA may hold on to a slim lead. They're in Spain and the wind has kicked up and may blow hard this weekend making the course exceedingly difficult and the play more than interesting.

Comment

• Say what you want, but the afternoon golf has been spectacular.

20 year old budding superstar Rose Zhang (2 time NCAA Champion from Stanford) who turned pro just this year almost made a ridiculous up and down on 18 but settled for a par and a halve of the first afternoon match.

Pedersen damned near hit a 2nd ace on 17, missing by about a foot and a half but it still looked like the Euros would go 1 up with 1 to play. Not so fast said Allisen Corpuz who dropped it to within about 5 inches to match. They go to 18 tied.

Where the 2nd match is after Lilia Vu drained a 12 footer for birdie on 17 to square her match (Lexi Thompson) with the Euro team of Georgia Hall and Leona Maguire.

The last match has the Euros dormie after 15. 3 up with 3 to play and that match will likely end on the 16th. The Euro team of Linn Grant and Carlota Ciganda has dominated.

As I type this, Leona Maguire chips in for a birdie on 18 and possibly gets a full point for the Euros. That's their team's 3rd hole out on the back 9. Lexi could get up and down for a half. But she's in deep stuff around the green. And bad Lexi rears her ugly head again under pressure. She hits a total shank from only about 20 feet, and runs the ball off the green and has maybe 100 feet off the green for the tie. One of the worst shots you will ever see from a professional. You wouldn't see anything that bad from a decent 10 handicap. It was a total choke. She did manage to hit a decent chip, but she had to make it. Vu will have to run in a 40 footer downhill sliding putt for the half. If she got it within a 5 foot circle it would be a great putt. Vu runs it by off the green (she had to get it there) and the Euros get the full point.

Feel awful for Lexi, she played GREAT all day, then when she needed a pedestrian up and down from 20 feet for a tie (or chip in for a win wasn't completely out of the question) she almost misses the ball and shanks it 30 yards off line. It's the kind of shot you might not recover from to be honest, especially when you've had the yips before.

Comment

Working...
                                X