RV Life Style

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• RV Life Style

My wife and I have discussed buying an RV for a couple of years and we are probably going to get one within a year or two.

So, who’s got one? What you got? What do like or dislike?
    Livin the dream

We don't have ours yet, but we plan to get a Grand Design Reflection 150 series 5th wheel, either a 260RD or 295RL, next winter or spring.

I will tell you the prices are very high right now due to Covid causing demand to skyrocket.

Comment

Well it's not a Gypsy lifestyle anymore because apparently they like to be known as "Romers" now according to some Woke young folk. God bless those that try to keep me PC

Comment

We are looking for a travel trailer. We want to balance towability (weight/length) with space for two adults and two soon to be teen boys. Also sometimes two medium sized dogs.

We figure on using it for one trip to national parks annually and weekends at the lake.

Lots to consider! Our current non-lottery dream is to get the kids out of the house and do consulting work on our way to retirement...live out of it full time for a few years. I imagine that would be a different RV then the one we plan to buy in the near future.
        Livin the dream

Comment

The happiest time for the vast majority of RV/boat owners is when they buy it, and when they sell it.

1) Take the money you were going to spend on this shinier, less roomy, mobile home, and use it over the rest of your lifetime to see the world. You'll thank me after you did.

2) Google hacking frequent flyer miles.

3) Get over your fear of flying. You're not going to live forever. Your chance of dying from a Covid variant is much higher than from an airplane.

4) Call around town and see who's got storage space for RV's. I can answer that for you, none. Take the money you were going to spend on an RV, and invest in an RV storage park.

The End

Comment

Originally posted by C0|dB|00ded View Post
            The happiest time for the vast majority of RV/boat owners is when they buy it, and when they sell it.

1) Take the money you were going to spend on this shinier, less roomy, mobile home, and use it over the rest of your lifetime to see the world. You'll thank me after you did.

3) Get over your fear of flying. You're not going to live forever. Your chance of dying from a Covid variant is much higher than from an airplane.

4) Call around town and see who's got storage space for RV's. I can answer that for you, none. Take the money you were going to spend on an RV, and invest in an RV storage park.

The End
            "You Just Want to Slap The #### Outta Some People"

Comment

The main thought I received from my RV owner friends is to be able to set up your rig with the ability to pull a JEEP or small car with it, especially if you are staying days or weeks at a time somewhere. That way you aren't handcuffed to the site and gas won't eat you alive. Of course, if you are buying a travel trailer, then none of this applies.

Comment

Originally posted by shoxlax View Post
                The main thought I received from my RV owner friends is to be able to set up your rig with the ability to pull a JEEP or small car with it, especially if you are staying days or weeks at a time somewhere. That way you aren't handcuffed to the site and gas won't eat you alive. Of course, if you are buying a travel trailer, then none of this applies.
                This is why we've decided to go with a 5th wheel over a class C - to have a truck to drive around so we don't have to "break camp" every time we want to go somewhere, or tow a separate vehicle behind.

As for towability, most say that 5th wheels tow better (less sway) and are a little easier to back when a pull-thru site isn't available. They do have a higher profile, however, and require a heavy-duty pickup (3/4 or 1 ton) due to the payload capacity required to pull them. That said, a bumper-pull (travel trailer) is probably a more economical choice, especially if you already have a vehicle that will tow it.

Find yourself a couple of YouTube channels by RVers who use a bumper-pull. They are usually pretty good about giving the pros and cons.

Comment

You can see a lot of Alaska from an RV...
                  People who think they know everything are a great annoyance to those of us who do. -Isaac Asimov

Comment

Originally posted by shock View Post
                    You can see a lot of Alaska from an RV...
                    But can you see Russia from your front porch?

Comment

Originally posted by RoyalShock View Post

This is why we've decided to go with a 5th wheel over a class C - to have a truck to drive around so we don't have to "break camp" every time we want to go somewhere, or tow a separate vehicle behind.

As for towability, most say that 5th wheels tow better (less sway) and are a little easier to back when a pull-thru site isn't available. They do have a higher profile, however, and require a heavy-duty pickup (3/4 or 1 ton) due to the payload capacity required to pull them. That said, a bumper-pull (travel trailer) is probably a more economical choice, especially if you already have a vehicle that will tow it.

Find yourself a couple of YouTube channels by RVers who use a bumper-pull. They are usually pretty good about giving the pros and cons.
                      The other issue with a class C is the maintenance cost. You’ve got to keep that engine running and tow a Jeep to boot.
                      Livin the dream

Comment

Originally posted by C0|dB|00ded View Post

The End
                        A nice gently used travel trailer is the same cost as round trip tickets to Europe for a family of 4. Granted, it’s a luxury expense with no return on investment, but so are so many things we own.
                        Livin the dream

Comment

Originally posted by wufan View Post

A nice gently used travel trailer is the same cost as round trip tickets to Europe for a family of 4. Granted, it’s a luxury expense with no return on investment, but so are so many things we own.
                          Everything you own, owns you. It's nice to take a vacation and come back actually rested; you won't be, hauling an RV all across creation. Then there's ticks.

Ever wonder why they're all "gently used"?

RV's are great for kids though. You'll never hear them complaining. Well, that was my generation. Maybe they will. Bring devices.

Comment

Originally posted by MikeKennedyRulZ View Post

But can you see Russia from your front porch?
                            Metaphorically speaking?

Ever heard of the Diomede Islands?
                            People who think they know everything are a great annoyance to those of us who do. -Isaac Asimov

Comment

Our family are long time campers. Our latest rig is a pull-behind 2019 Coachman Spirit Ultralight 2963BH and we love it. We have also had a fifth wheel and also liked it, but was able to pull our new one easily with a half ton pickup.

Here's our experience in looking for a new RV. Make a list of the things most important to you.... Bunk beds, outdoor kitchen, etc. Then understand, you will never find the "perfect" rv that checks every box. At least that has always been our experience. Find the one that has the most important features you want, but might have other features that you have to just live with. Once you start looking, you'll understand what I mean.

Another thing you might do is watch Going RV. It's a show on the Great American County channel. We have it on our Sling TV. Shows lots of different options and gives ideas of things you might like to have. We watched probably every episode.

Look at used RVs for your first. Just like cars, new ones really depreciate quickly. You truly won't know what works for you and your family until you start spending time in your RV. Chances are that you will be much better informed when you look for your second one.... Assuming your family enjoys the first.

I can offer this advise. If you have a couple of kids and dogs, look at units with bunk beds and don't get anything that has carpet. Beyond that, you're on your own.

We love camping and spend nearly every weekend at the lake. I highly recommend it and hope your family loves it as mine does. I'd be happy to answer any questions I can.

Comment

Working...
                              X