Bicycle riding

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Originally posted by MadDog View Post
    Shaka, BTW, to get to your 21 miles yesterday, did you ride that same 3 mile loop 7 times?
    Yes. It's pretty boring, but that's not the point. If I was in the office, my employer has a couple of free gyms that we can use with eliptical machines, pelotons, stationary bikes and so forth.

I have to ride in circles for now, but like everyone else, I am ready to go back to the office. Variety is the spice of life and I'm not getting much these days.

Comment

Shaka, your story made me laugh. Doesn’t seem like there’s much to laugh about anymore. Thanks
      You're welcome! Happy Friday Eve, by the way!

Comment

• Enough over 18 yesterday to get to 40 for the week. Hoping to get a couple of nice rides in this weekend.

Comment

• 15 miles today in an hour and 6 minutes. Temperature: 46 degrees. Windchill 40-41 degrees. Was supposed to be a slower, relaxed ride (that's winter bicycling), but there were two people on electric scooters on the boardwalk going full gas so it was fun to stay just behind them.

Then when I turned around at the spillway (21st street on the river), there was another road bicyclist ahead of me almost 1/2 of a mile and it took me almost 2 miles just to catch up with him. Last mile and a half back to work was almost snail's pace to try and recover. Definitely ready for shower when I get home. 59 for the week so far (2 days remaining) and 155 for the month. (almost double what I rode November 2019)

Comment

• Spin class for me today. That was the class that kept on giving all day long. While I was spinning someone broke into in my locker at the Y and stole my credit cards. That took all day to get resolved (hopefully it’s finally resolved).

Comment

Spin class for me today. That was the class that kept on giving all day long. While I was spinning someone broke into in my locker at the Y and stole my credit cards. That took all day to get resolved (hopefully it’s finally resolved).

Comment

Spin class for me today. That was the class that kept on giving all day long. While I was spinning someone broke into in my locker at the Y and stole my credit cards. That took all day to get resolved (hopefully it’s finally resolved).
                Which Y?

Comment

• It was the Andover Y. I’m still pissed at them and pissed at the east Kellogg Walmart for letting someone use my debit card on a $1067 transaction without requiring a PIN number. The perp managed to rack up over $3000 in charges on my cards in slightly over an hour before I got them shut down. I’m not going to get stuck with the bill directly, just the cleanup :(

Comment

It was the Andover Y. I’m still pissed at them and pissed at the east Kellogg Walmart for letting someone use my debit card on a $1067 transaction without requiring a PIN number. The perp managed to rack up over $3000 in charges on my cards in slightly over an hour before I got them shut down. I’m not going to get stuck with the bill directly, just the cleanup :(
                    We currently have suspended our membership to the Y, but we do go to Andover. Hope they catch the guy. Walmart should have cameras. Not a fan of debt cards (don't have one), but Walmart should eat it the bill. "Cleanup" is a pain in the ass.

Comment

• 18.35 miles today. Legs were a bit sore from Friday's efforts. And the wind was blowing a gazillion miles an hour, and the mtn bike weighs probably 15-20 pounds more than the road bike. When we left it was 73, sunny and warm- so shorts and jersey. At some point something happened and the wind completely switched and we (again) had to ride (back) into the wind. Temp dropped about 7 degrees but it wasn't too noticeable. Tomorrow much cooler. 77 miles for the week and 173 miles for the month..

About the Y....used to have a membership. Coached my daughter during off season (swimming) and the Y was great for that. Good for basketball too, but bicycle spinning....not so great for me personally. I spin pretty hard, so I like to sit right under a fan to try and keep cool. One bozo (DAILY, mind you) would walk in and turn off ALL the fans upstairs because he felt cold. After about 2 weeks of trying to get the Y to do something about it, we just stopped going and let the membership expire the next month. I was telling a friend about the Y (at the time) and he, too, had his locker broken into. Believe it or not, there were YT videos about how to break various locks. That and there were individuals that liked to shower and then stand buck naked in front of the air circulating fans in the locker rooms so they could dry off.

Comment

• I had to file police reports with both Wichita PD and Andover PD. Hopefully they can compare footage from the Y and Walmart and identify the guy.

So JV, we’re you actually taking a spin class or just riding a spin bike on your own? Spin class actually seems like something you would enjoy since it’s really easy to compete against yourself and you can make the class as hard or easy as you like. One of the instructors has a 3 minute mile challenge where you see if you can get one mile on the odometer in 3 minutes. So basically it makes you average 20 mph over three minutes without any downhills or coasting. I can do it, but no room to spare. It’s also kind of fun to see how high you can push the watts. I find spin class a lot more interesting that grinding it out on the elliptical or treadmill for half an hour.

Comment

It was the Andover Y. I’m still pissed at them and pissed at the east Kellogg Walmart for letting someone use my debit card on a $1067 transaction without requiring a PIN number. The perp managed to rack up over $3000 in charges on my cards in slightly over an hour before I got them shut down. I’m not going to get stuck with the bill directly, just the cleanup :(
                          Wow! Sorry to hear about that! And I agree with ShockTalk, I only own credit cards because you don't have liability. I use my WM and Sam's cards as ATM cards - I can get $100 on each one per day. If I need more than $200, and I can't write a check (or they won't take plastic), then I'm in trouble, but I don't remember ever having issues related to that.

Comment

• It was really warm here in Houston until today (it got up to 85 so fast it wasn't even fully). Missed out on my Saturday ride. Working today, but will take a ride later and post results.

Comment

So JV, we’re you actually taking a spin class or just riding a spin bike on your own? Spin class actually seems like something you would enjoy since it’s really easy to compete against yourself and you can make the class as hard or easy as you like. One of the instructors has a 3 minute mile challenge where you see if you can get one mile on the odometer in 3 minutes. So basically it makes you average 20 mph over three minutes without any downhills or coasting. I can do it, but no room to spare. It’s also kind of fun to see how high you can push the watts. I find spin class a lot more interesting that grinding it out on the elliptical or treadmill for half an hour.
                              Riding on my own. Not an actual class. Last time I used one of the machines and input all the data to get watts (power to weight ratio) I could hold about 300-325 watts for an hour workout. But I'm no lightweight so my wattage may be higher than a typical rider under 6 feet (I'm 6'3" and about 215 pounds). In other words, on a light weight road bike I can go downhill pretty quickly (especially with my aero bar attached).

Got in a shorter ride today, only 12 miles, but much much cooler than yesterday. 12 miles, so the week's total is 89, and the monthly is at 185. Weather looks promising for the week, too.

Chop and wind at Waterfront

Near Armour bike path (many of the trees now bare and people putting up Christmas decor)

Comment

• That’s impressive JV! The calculator I saw says you would have the performance of a class 4 racer. That’s pretty elite.

Comment

Working...
                                X