Bicycle riding

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Originally posted by JVShocker View Post
    MD - yeah, the redbud is almost complete. I expect (and kind of hope) they never finish the rest of it as I've come to enjoy the natural areas. What a contrast in weather in just two days here.

Saturday: Sunny with some clouds, temps around 70 degrees. Warm, and windy, blowing 15-25 mph. Shorts and jersey for me. 21 miles in an hour and a :45. Wonderful ride. Wife almost over her cold, so took it fairly easy.. 1 hour 45 minutes.

And then Sunday happened. Something happened here between yesterday early evening and lunch time today. Like, 43 degrees, winds pouriing out of the north and gusting to 25 mph. Full winter gear. Thermal, gloves, leggings, jacket. Much much slower pace. One thing people aren't aware of when bicycling in cold weather is you will have to clear your nose/sinuses fairly often. Today it was cold, cloudy windy and gray, but the pictures of the pumpkins I got today make it a little less gloomy. Hope all are well.

This area is along Lnden in east Wichita. Beautiful neighborhood to bicycle. Lots of fall color.
    We were reversed down here this weekend. Saturday was drizzly, I went out around 2 and rode 29. I almost needed my wind vest. It was in the 60's.

Sunday I also went out, this time around noon. It was 93 on Sunday. Probably should have went out earlier. Rode 23.5.

The front you all are enjoying is almost here, but it won't go through. We will be around 90 all week, except after Friday, a front is supposed to go through that will drop our temps 5-10 degrees. I'm going out Tuesday/Thursday at night, so daytime temps will not make much of a difference.

Everyone ride safe!

Comment

• Originally posted by revenge_of_shocka_khan View Post

Everyone ride safe!
      Well said.

19 miiles tonight in an hour 36 min.. Not great, but the last 2 miles was super slow. Much more difficult bicycling in the cold. Switched the tubes out on the mtbike to run heavy duty tubes. And all the extra winter gear, I feel like I'm pushing an extra 10 pounds with the winter stuff. Chilly 48 degrees but at least the wind was light. Just got in the door, so I can finally eat some dinner (yeah, not great riding on an empty stomach, but nobody wants to repair a flat in the cold dark night. 305 miles for the month (to date) and its only the 19th, almost double what I probably rode last year in October. Take care everyone.

Comment

• The rules. Learn them, know them, live them.
        There are three rules that I live by: never get less than twelve hours sleep; never play cards with a guy who has the same first name as a city; and never get involved with a woman with a tattoo of a dagger on her body. Now you stick to that, and everything else is cream cheese.

Comment

• Originally posted by MoValley John View Post
          The rules. Learn them, know them, live them.
          https://www.velominati.com
          Read them a long time ago. I do not necessarily adhere to all of them. I like short socks. Do lifesavers/gels/mike and ikes count as food because I've been known to take one of these on nearly every ride. And I occasionally wear a bicycling cap when I go out (mostly late evenings) because it helps keep my prescription glasses (not sunglasses) on my stupid face and off the stupid ground.

Short short ride tonight. Only 9 miles....late late start, ate dinner beforehand, AND while I was out noticed a huge black plume of smoke near the park, rode over near the area, saw flames reaching 10-15 feet in the air in someone's backyard and waited and watched as at least 6 fire/ladder trucks (and others) show up to combat the damn thing. Could hear loud popping (almost like mini explosions).

Comment

• First day of spin class this morning since February. Way more difficult than I remembered. It kicked my a$$! Better try again tomorrow, although the weather may cooperate so may get the bike out instead. Just need to be done by lunchtime so I can go pickup my tickets (assuming there are any left to pickup).

Comment

• 75 last week, 21 last night, 310 for the month.

Looking forward to cooler (cold?) next week. Until then, highs close to 90's daily.

Good thing the days are short and I'm riding at night.

Comment

• So did everyone north of Texas get a ride in before the weather change today? Got home, ate 3 bites of dinner and was out the door.

Comment

• Rainy and cold, I'm a wuss.
                  There are three rules that I live by: never get less than twelve hours sleep; never play cards with a guy who has the same first name as a city; and never get involved with a woman with a tattoo of a dagger on her body. Now you stick to that, and everything else is cream cheese.

Comment

• If it doesn't rain Saturday, we are def bicycling tomorrow. Cold I can deal with, rain, not so much. And I found a photo soomeone in the area had posted on the fire. I would have put it in the fire(s) thread, but technically I was bicycling when I saw the smoke.

Comment

• I'm going to try tomorrow. I spent an hour on the elliptical today. We are buying a higher end trainer for the winter. Funny, my wife sees no need for me to go all carbon, and axed any idea of me upgrading to DuraAce, but were getting this: https://www.backcountry.com/elite-qu...xoCsAAQAvD_BwE

Screenshot_20201023-182641_Samsung Internet.jpg
                      Attached Files

Comment

• My wife wants rollers because they supposedly help with technique, balance and core strength. They are supposedly difficult at the beginning, but we have a flat-screen already and will be purchasing the Zwift app.

I'm totally geeked about getting this, had my wife not gotten into biking, this would have been a hard no, now were getting it!

Comment

• Were all gonna die!

Comment

My wife wants rollers because they supposedly help with technique, balance and core strength. They are supposedly difficult at the beginning, but we have a flat-screen already and will be purchasing the Zwift app.

I'm totally geeked about getting this, had my wife not gotten into biking, this would have been a hard no, now were getting it!
                            Congratulations! Great news for you, not only that, since she enjoys biking, it's something you can do together and support each other, which is also important to keeping you going.

If I bought a trainer, it would be a Wahoo Kikr, but I'm going to cross my fingers and hope we stay warm enough down here this winter that I can get my rides in, if that does not happen I may need to reconsider. Kikr's are probably about the best out there, but they are expensive and I would prefer to try to keep riding outside unless/until it gets too cold. LBS (near me) had a waiting list when I inquired during the summer.

Our first big front is coming through on Monday. It's supposed to stay between 40-60. That's winter cold for us. I imagine I am going to miss a few workouts without a trainer, but that is why I was trying to get myself up to 50-60 on the weekends. Then if I only get one night in during the week, I'm still around 80-90. The number of days where it is below 60 during the day here can be counted on less than two hands.

Our winter forecast is calling for a warmer than normal winter, so there's that. All I have to do is make it through this winter, I would expect by next winter things will be more back to normal (meaning more options - gym at work, or join a gym). I really miss our work gym, I'm tired of riding my bike in circles.

Comment

Comment

You laugh at this guy but he's worth his weight in gold on the farm. The steer will fall over dead from exhaustion before this bloke. I get hungry for roasted corn just listening to him.

Comment

Working...
                                X