No announcement yet.

Bicycle riding

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• JV, was just out a Santa Fe Lake over Labor Day weekend. I had my daughter and her family up from Texas for a visit. Daughter was thinking my 3 year old grandson would like to go on a hike and Santa Fe Lake is perfect for taking a 3 year old hiking as he really enjoyed it. The park has two combination hiking/biking trails, one two mile, and one 5 mile. We did the 2 mile with the 3 year old and I would say it’s pretty much like a real hiking trail... dirt, rocks, and roots. I have a friend that rides his mountain bike out there and he thinks highly of it. It looks to me like it would be ok for a mountain bike, but I wouldn’t put my gravel bike or anything less rugged on it. Cost Of admission was $8 per carload, or I think about $30 for a season pass, which I’m considering since I live so close and I think my dogs would really enjoy the hiking. BTW, Santa Fe Lake is not a state park, and is actually owned and operated by the city of Augusta. I guess they get to make the rules on the fee structure.

As for that bridge over US400, it was one (or likely two) of those old iron railroad bridges. As the bridges we’re very flat, they didn’t sit very high over the highway and the highway sort of dipped to get under the bridges if I remember right. I use that stretch of the highway a lot more now than I did 5 years ago, but I just remember driving one day and looking up and thinking WTF, where’d the bridges go? Looking at it now from the highway, you’d never know there was a bridge there.

BTW, good luck getting safely to Augusta from Wichita on a bike. To get there you have to cross the Whitewater River and there are bridges only at US 400 and 21st street, neither of which are bike friendly. I’ll post a picture of a map that shows how Redbud connects to Augusta and the challenges of biking to Augusta.

Comment

• You do not have permission to view this gallery.
      This gallery has 1 photos.

Comment

• 31 miles on the bike today. Rode from Chisholm Creek Park to the far tip of the Redbud east of Andover and back. Not much to report other than the public works guys were working on the new section of path between 143rd and 159th. I only rode it west to east, but bypassed that section on the way back as I don’t think the construction guys really appreciated me riding that close to where they we’re working. They were adding neighborhood access points for a couple of the neighborhoods that border the path to the south. Other than that, just a beautiful day to be out riding a bike.

Comment

• Originally posted by MadDog View Post
          JV, was just out a Santa Fe Lake over Labor Day weekend. I had my daughter and her family up from Texas for a visit. Daughter was thinking my 3 year old grandson would like to go on a hike and Santa Fe Lake is perfect for taking a 3 year old hiking as he really enjoyed it. The park has two combination hiking/biking trails, one two mile, and one 5 mile. We did the 2 mile with the 3 year old and I would say it’s pretty much like a real hiking trail... dirt, rocks, and roots. I have a friend that rides his mountain bike out there and he thinks highly of it. It looks to me like it would be ok for a mountain bike, but I wouldn’t put my gravel bike or anything less rugged on it. Cost Of admission was $8 per carload, or I think about $30 for a season pass, which I’m considering since I live so close and I think my dogs would really enjoy the hiking. BTW, Santa Fe Lake is not a state park, and is actually owned and operated by the city of Augusta. I guess they get to make the rules on the fee structure.

As for that bridge over US400, it was one (or likely two) of those old iron railroad bridges. As the bridges we’re very flat, they didn’t sit very high over the highway and the highway sort of dipped to get under the bridges if I remember right. I use that stretch of the highway a lot more now than I did 5 years ago, but I just remember driving one day and looking up and thinking WTF, where’d the bridges go? Looking at it now from the highway, you’d never know there was a bridge there.

BTW, good luck getting safely to Augusta from Wichita on a bike. To get there you have to cross the Whitewater River and there are bridges only at US 400 and 21st street, neither of which are bike friendly. I’ll post a picture of a map that shows how Redbud connects to Augusta and the challenges of biking to Augusta.
          So if I have NO CAR with me, do I still have to pay to get in?

Comment

• According to their website, it’s $8/ carload. It’s also $8/walk up or drop offs. So I assume it’s $8 no matter how you get there.

Comment

• 24.6 tonight. 1 hour 46 minutes. Rode out to Andover Park again, but took the road bike which I had not been on in a week and half (I think). Weather near perfect 68 degrees, maybe 3-4 degrees cooler as I got out of the city. No wind. Got the cycling jacket today, tight fit as I wanted. Front and sleeves have wind resistant fabric and are insulated. Back has three big pockets. Pretty lightweight and still seemed super warm. Can't wait for a cold snap to see how little clothing I can get away with wearing while I bicycle. (that's didn't sound quite right). Hope everyone is well and that (especially) MVJ is back on the road to some kind of recovery riding.

Comment

• 51 miles for me today. Sedgwick County Park to south tip of Derby and back. It was a crazy ride. I somehow managed to lose my riding buddy in Derby. We were coming up to this roundabout just south of the Derby country club which was all tore up due to road construction. I said something to the effect that I though we could get through the construction by just getting on the sidewalk. Normally we would take the third exit and go on East to Rock Rd, then on to the south. Well my buddy, who was just slightly ahead of me (maybe 10 ft) got on the west sidewalk and I got on the east sidewalk. Long story short he took the first exit and headed back west. I’m on the east side standing there waiting on him to come around. After about two or three minutes of waiting I go to the west side to find him and he’s gone, nowhere to be seen. I ride a block or so on each spur of the roundabout... nothing. He’s not answering calls or texts. I assume he’s been abducted by space aliens. Eventually he realizes I’m not with him and comes back to the roundabout but I’m long gone heading south on Rock Rd. We end up riding separately back to SCP. He’s worried I’m dead in a ditch somewhere and I’m contemplating how I’m going to explain this to his wife and thankful I’ve got the app going that is mapping my ride so I can show the Derby police that no, I’m not making this up, and that I didn’t kill him!

Anyway, we both made it back to our trucks ok and all is well. Other than that, it was a beautiful day and a great ride! I’m off the bike for the next five days. You all have great rides and whatever you do, don’t lose your riding partners!

Comment

• Did a slow leg stretcher with my wife today, just a bike ride, not a bedroom leg stretcher. Felt great, only 12 miles. We stopped at the six mile mark and had lunch at First Watch.

My hamstring tightened up after we finished, but not too bad. I might do 15 tomorrow, slow and avoid hills. Life is good!

By the way, my wife is slow as hell getting out of the restaurant and back on the bike. I attached a picture of the circles I rode in the parking lot after filling her water bottle.
                  Attached Files
                  There are three rules that I live by: never get less than twelve hours sleep; never play cards with a guy who has the same first name as a city; and never get involved with a woman with a tattoo of a dagger on her body. Now you stick to that, and everything else is cream cheese.

Comment

51 miles for me today. Sedgwick County Park to south tip of Derby and back. It was a crazy ride. I somehow managed to lose my riding buddy in Derby. We were coming up to this roundabout just south of the Derby country club which was all tore up due to road construction. I said something to the effect that I though we could get through the construction by just getting on the sidewalk. Normally we would take the third exit and go on East to Rock Rd, then on to the south. Well my buddy, who was just slightly ahead of me (maybe 10 ft) got on the west sidewalk and I got on the east sidewalk. Long story short he took the first exit and headed back west. I’m on the east side standing there waiting on him to come around. After about two or three minutes of waiting I go to the west side to find him and he’s gone, nowhere to be seen. I ride a block or so on each spur of the roundabout... nothing. He’s not answering calls or texts. I assume he’s been abducted by space aliens. Eventually he realizes I’m not with him and comes back to the roundabout but I’m long gone heading south on Rock Rd. We end up riding separately back to SCP. He’s worried I’m dead in a ditch somewhere and I’m contemplating how I’m going to explain this to his wife and thankful I’ve got the app going that is mapping my ride so I can show the Derby police that no, I’m not making this up, and that I didn’t kill him!

Anyway, we both made it back to our trucks ok and all is well. Other than that, it was a beautiful day and a great ride! I’m off the bike for the next five days. You all have great rides and whatever you do, don’t lose your riding partners!
                    Sometimes you want to lose your riding partner. Just saying.
                    There are three rules that I live by: never get less than twelve hours sleep; never play cards with a guy who has the same first name as a city; and never get involved with a woman with a tattoo of a dagger on her body. Now you stick to that, and everything else is cream cheese.

Comment

• Originally posted by MoValley John View Post
                      Did a slow leg stretcher with my wife today, just a bike ride, not a bedroom leg stretcher. Felt great, only 12 miles. We stopped at the six mile mark and had lunch at First Watch.

My hamstring tightened up after we finished, but not too bad. I might do 15 tomorrow, slow and avoid hills. Life is good!

By the way, my wife is slow as hell getting out of the restaurant and back on the bike. I attached a picture of the circles I rode in the parking lot after filling her water bottle.
                      Does your wife read SN? LOL.

Comment

• Originally posted by MoValley John View Post

Sometimes you want to lose your riding partner. Just saying.
                        Again. Wife. Read. SN?

Comment

• Originally posted by JVShocker View Post

Again. Wife. Read. SN?
                          Ummmmm. No. Thank God.

Comment

• Again, sometimes its good to lose your riding partner, often times, you just don't want to let them know.

Comment

• JV, your wife know her pictures are all over Shockernet? Almost thought I saw you guys last week until I noticed the lady’s hair was too short.

Comment

JV, your wife know her pictures are all over Shockernet? Almost thought I saw you guys last week until I noticed the lady’s hair was too short.
                                I'm guessing... No. I keep my face off the internet and if I posted my wife and she found out.... Well that would be bad.

Comment

Working...
                                X