Bicycle riding

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• And wheelset
    There are three rules that I live by: never get less than twelve hours sleep; never play cards with a guy who has the same first name as a city; and never get involved with a woman with a tattoo of a dagger on her body. Now you stick to that, and everything else is cream cheese.

Comment

• Originally posted by JVShocker View Post
      More bicycle talk just for MVJ.....some bicycling is better than others. (note: never ask your friends - who know you are just busting to get out and bicycle - to cease with the bike talk for 5 days. I kid because I care. )

1. Not so good

2. Better.

3. Again...not a good idea.

4. Good idea.

5. Special note to MVJ: This is NOT a good place to rest from your bike ride....

6. Stop here for rest.

Dude probably has parrafin on his chain. No oil stains.
      There are three rules that I live by: never get less than twelve hours sleep; never play cards with a guy who has the same first name as a city; and never get involved with a woman with a tattoo of a dagger on her body. Now you stick to that, and everything else is cream cheese.

Comment

• I have 3. Foldiing bicycle (actually have two of those, but would get rid of one if someone came around and was interested in riding), mountain bike (really old, like 17 years old), gravel bike.

It's nice to have numerous bikes, but unless you are riding 100+ per week, my opinion is that a primary and a backup should be sufficient for most people.

I am going to use the mountain bike on a fluid trainer, because I don't ride it enough. But it I use the folder a lot (when traveling or when the gravel bike is in the shop) and my primary is the gravel bike.

It's not a bad idea to own multiple bikes, it's just that you have to have what I would call a valid reason for it and you have to use them.

Comment

• Funny. After bicycling Sunday, I stopped about halfway through because "something just didn't feel right." Wife stopped too. Started looking at the rear tire and there were literally missing pieces of rubber, not to mention chinks in the "rubber" all throughout the tire from glass or sharp rock. Front tire looked remarkably better. Don't know if I've ever had a flat with this tire that I can recall. But not worth risking further mileage.

Question: What kind of mileage can you expect out of a tire? I've got maybe 3-3.5k in these tires. Replaced the rear tire last night. Does anyone ever rotate the front/back tire?

And then you see how dirty the bike is, and realize you really haven't cleaned it since March. And you start cleaning it and notice all the minor little bits of wear in frame paint or decal. And then I'm looking at it going..."any more trouble and I'll just get a NEW one."

Temps were sure nice here this AM. Like, low to mid 60s. MVJ - when u think you can get back on your bike? Just in time for the heat wave to return, I guess? How's your energy level?

Comment

Funny. After bicycling Sunday, I stopped about halfway through because "something just didn't feel right." Wife stopped too. Started looking at the rear tire and there were literally missing pieces of rubber, not to mention chinks in the "rubber" all throughout the tire from glass or sharp rock. Front tire looked remarkably better. Don't know if I've ever had a flat with this tire that I can recall. But not worth risking further mileage.

Question: What kind of mileage can you expect out of a tire? I've got maybe 3-3.5k in these tires. Replaced the rear tire last night. Does anyone ever rotate the front/back tire?

And then you see how dirty the bike is, and realize you really haven't cleaned it since March. And you start cleaning it and notice all the minor little bits of wear in frame paint or decal. And then I'm looking at it going..."any more trouble and I'll just get a NEW one."

Temps were sure nice here this AM. Like, low to mid 60s. MVJ - when u think you can get back on your bike? Just in time for the heat wave to return, I guess? How's your energy level?
            I'm going out tonight for a short ride. I've been very good about quarantine. According to the cdc, 72 hours after the fever breaks, you shouldn't transmit. Im well beyond that, plus my md said it would be okay. My endurance is shot. I will try for 10-15 miles after dark. I dont know if I can do it. Other than being tired most of the time, I feel great. We'll see what tonight brings.

Comment

• Originally posted by MoValley John View Post

I'm going out tonight for a short ride. I've been very good about quarantine. According to the cdc, 72 hours after the fever breaks, you shouldn't transmit. Im well beyond that, plus my md said it would be okay. My endurance is shot. I will try for 10-15 miles after dark. I dont know if I can do it. Other than being tired most of the time, I feel great. We'll see what tonight brings.
              Back when wife and I were sick, we had identical symptoms. I was off the bike for 4 weeks.

Hope it goes well for you MVJ.

I only got 22 miles in tonight, but they were productive miles, not like towing the wife for 2 hours. Rather than post a bicycling pic, about the most amazing thing I saw tonight was on the cool down, a young lady walking in the park in a blue dress. Kind of like this...

Last edited by JVShocker; August 4, 2020, 08:56 PM.

Comment

Back when wife and I were sick, we had identical symptoms. I was off the bike for 4 weeks.

Hope it goes well for you MVJ.

I only got 22 miles in tonight, but they were productive miles, not like towing the wife for 2 hours. Rather than post a bicycling pic, about the most amazing thing I saw tonight was on the cool down, a young lady walking in the park in a blue dress. Kind of like this...

Yipes Stripes Beechnut Gum!
                "You Just Want to Slap The #### Outta Some People"

Comment

• 31 miles for me today. My buddy and I rode the gravel portion of the Redbud east of Andover. I really enjoy that ride, even on my road bike. On the way back our curiosity got the better part of common sense. We decided to venture down the path between 143rd and 127th which is closed and under construction. It’s terrible and pretty much unrideable. When we made it half way we find they are building a new bridge. The construction guys just looked at us with a wtf look letting us know that only idiots would be at that location trying to ride bikes. We did however talk to the foreman and I got an estimate from him that it’s probably 3 more months before the bridge is done. Oh well, so much for riding the path end to end this year

Comment

• snuck out this afternoon. Wore a mask and avoided everyone. Made 20 miles. It was tough, I didnt go very fast and I've lost a lot of wind. Felt great though. The mask sucked and according to CDC guidelines, I'm not contagious. Tomorrow is my last day in jail. Screenshot_20200805-163350_MapMyRide.jpg
                    Attached Files

Comment

Funny. After bicycling Sunday, I stopped about halfway through because "something just didn't feel right." Wife stopped too. Started looking at the rear tire and there were literally missing pieces of rubber, not to mention chinks in the "rubber" all throughout the tire from glass or sharp rock. Front tire looked remarkably better. Don't know if I've ever had a flat with this tire that I can recall. But not worth risking further mileage.

You should be able to get decals from the bicycle manufacturer. Try to see if you can go to their website and ping/email them. There used to be a guy in Houston who painted bikes, perhaps there is one up there?

I have never got that many miles out of a tire, you did well there! The tires on my folder are close to needing replacement and I only have about a thousand miles on them. I want something that is more durable (firmer rubber) next time. Believe it or not, the folder I have was built for racing, so I'm thinking it has soft-compounded tires, as they bite better and help you go faster, but as they wear, they can cause you to lose control on soft or slick (like wet) surfaces.

Heat high is settling back in here, but in another month we will be getting close to a little relief. Yesterday in Houston was mid-90's and it's almost always humid here. Where I live it's around 100 and supposed to be that way for the 'foreseeable future'.

I rode 50 miles in the last 3 days. Would like to get 100 this week, but I doubt I will be able to. However, I can get close, as I am taking Friday off (will ride Friday/Saturday/Sunday).

Comment

• Originally posted by MoValley John View Post
                        snuck out this afternoon. Wore a mask and avoided everyone. Made 20 miles. It was tough, I didnt go very fast and I've lost a lot of wind. Felt great though. The mask sucked and according to CDC guidelines, I'm not contagious. Tomorrow is my last day in jail. Screenshot_20200805-163350_MapMyRide.jpg
                        Great you are getting out!

Be patient. Take it slow, you won't get back where you were overnight.

I'm nine years older than you are and did not ride for about 10 year. I started out at about 7-8 miles and worked slowly up. It took me 3-4 years to get back to being able to do a 30-40 mile ride. I had to work around knee issues, back issues, neck issues but now I'm up where I am now. You will have a big issue with your lungs, but strenuous exercise ought to be good to build your lung capacity back.

Comment

• 20 is really good for that first ride. And to do it with a mask on is very impressive. Congratulations!

Comment

• 20.13 towing the wife today. Mistake of riding out to Stryker Soccer complex and making a loop back all the way south on a windy day, but I got some work out of it. Legs have been super tired from the past 2-3 weeks, so it was really a fun ride of high cadence pedaling into the wind. My knees are thanking me now.

MVJ - how have you been doing?

Comment

20.13 towing the wife today. Mistake of riding out to Stryker Soccer complex and making a loop back all the way south on a windy day, but I got some work out of it. Legs have been super tired from the past 2-3 weeks, so it was really a fun ride of high cadence pedaling into the wind. My knees are thanking me now.

MVJ - how have you been doing?
                              Did 23 today. All into a muggy, stiff breeze. Still a bit slow but I'm feeling I have more in the tank. The guy I was riding with wants to do a century, we are planning a 50 mile ride for next Saturday. From there, we'll do a couple 75's, then a century the last week of the month.
                              Screenshot_20200808-130618_MapMyRide.jpg

Comment

• Oh, the young girls running around the lake were incredible today!

Comment

Working...
                                X