No announcement yet.

Bicycle riding

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• The same bike keeps trying to run me down every day. It's a vicious cycle!
    Last edited by Kung Wu; August 1, 2020, 01:14 PM.
    Kung Wu say, man making mistake in elevator wrong on many levels.

Comment

• Got up early to bike ride with the wife. Weather was according to her, "going to be perfect." Well, after we started out I realized the temperature was in the mid 60s, which is probably great for some people, but for people who like to bike in the heat, its like this...

Seriously, with the slight north wind, it was downright chilly to me. I've been warmer bicycling this past winter in 30 degree weather than I was this AM. I really feel for MVJ. I'm sure you would have been dancing in the streets with the weather north of here. After a while the sun finally hits you and you start to warm up, so in the end, it was GREAT. We got in 18 miles. Riding back with the slight 5 mph north wind at the back, I let her pull and she was able to hold at about 15-16 mph, which is pretty good for the wife. Whenever she does I always get a smile when I let her pass. I always say...

Comment

• 30 miles this morning riding the “tour d’Andover”. Made an interesting discovery at the east end of the paved portion of the Redbud trail. I had heard that the Redbud trail was completed east of town but had not checked it out since I’m kind of leery of running my road bike over an unpaved surface. But I road that one little block long stretch over the “gray crunchy stuff” (not sure what it is, but I’m pretty sure it’s not crushed limestone), decided it wasn’t too bad, and continued on down the trail. Turns out they have 4.3 miles of trail east of the paved part finished with the gray crunchy stuff and it really wasn’t bad riding on a road bike. I cruised along about 12-13 mph and never felt like the bike was unstable on the path surface. That portion of the ride had the true “look and feel” of a Kansas rail trail.

I believe the plan/hope is that the Redbud can be extended on to Augusta. Right now it ends at about US 400 and Santa Fe Lake Rd. Unfortunately there is going to have to be a bridge built over the highway if it will ever connect to Augusta. Don’t know, but I would guess that would be a pretty expensive undertaking.

Good news on the west side of the Redbud where the paved path terminated at 159th street. Looking west, there is a nice wide path dug out and base gravel put down. It doesn’t look like it’s too long before the concrete is poured. Hopefully Wichita and Andover will be connected before the summer is over. That would be a dream come true!

Comment

• You do not have permission to view this gallery.
          This gallery has 1 photos.

Comment

• Can we put the bike talk on hold for another five days?
            There are three rules that I live by: never get less than twelve hours sleep; never play cards with a guy who has the same first name as a city; and never get involved with a woman with a tattoo of a dagger on her body. Now you stick to that, and everything else is cream cheese.

Comment

• Originally posted by MoValley John View Post
              Can we put the bike talk on hold for another five days?
              How you doing there MJV?
              Livin the dream

Comment

• Originally posted by wufan View Post

How you doing there MJV?
                Doing fine. Bored as hell.
                FB_IMG_1595789649716.jpg
                There are three rules that I live by: never get less than twelve hours sleep; never play cards with a guy who has the same first name as a city; and never get involved with a woman with a tattoo of a dagger on her body. Now you stick to that, and everything else is cream cheese.

Comment

• Originally posted by MoValley John View Post
                  Can we put the bike talk on hold for another five days?

Comment

• Breaking news for MVJ.....I heard Kermit got in quite a few miles bicycling in the park this weekend. He wishes you well and hopes to see yoou riding your bicycle again soon.

Comment

• More bicycle talk just for MVJ.....some bicycling is better than others. (note: never ask your friends - who know you are just busting to get out and bicycle - to cease with the bike talk for 5 days. I kid because I care. )

1. Not so good

2. Better.

3. Again...not a good idea.

4. Good idea.

5. Special note to MVJ: This is NOT a good place to rest from your bike ride....

6. Stop here for rest.

Comment

• Originally posted by JVShocker View Post
                        More bicycle talk just for MVJ.....some bicycling is better than others. (note: never ask your friends - who know you are just busting to get out and bicycle - to cease with the bike talk for 5 days. I kid because I care. )

5. Special note to MVJ: This is NOT a good place to rest from your bike ride....

I don't know about that. If you had to save your pennies, nickles and dimes to buy a Moots, and had to sacrifice a LOT to get it, you'd probably sleep with it, too.

Unless you're independently wealthy, you would have to be almost over the top to spend 10K plus on your Ti bike. I have a friend (owns my favorite LBS in Houston) who builds them for people who have (apparently) unlimited amounts of money to spend on bikes. Two years ago they ran 10-12K.

But I agree with your positive message and we all need to encourage MVJ. I just wish things would settle down for me so I can get out and ride. Between selling my house, work and the weather here in Houston, I can't get a break.

Also, and as a side note, I'm betting he's single. Who would put a bike, with the crank down, on a bed with white sheets (unless they can afford a lot of those, too).

Comment

• Funny you should mention $$$ spent on bicycles. I watched a question and answer thing with cyclists on youtube. Question: How many bikes do you own?

I used to own two, but gave one to a friend (who had a friend that really wanted a bike). So I have one that I take primo care of. In fact, we got back from bicycling yesterday, and was looking at th e rear tire, and it is almost coming apart in places. ROAD TRIP TO THE BIKE SHOP TODAY!!!! There are quite a few within five minutes of work (downtown).

So back to the topic.....If I had $3750 to spend on a hybrid (which wife says I don't) I would own two. The answers were startling though from other cyclists. Some were embarrased to say they have 3, 4, even 5 bicycles. Like, really top-of-the-line bicycles. So privately I guess I have two....one real and one imaginary. Not unlike my current wife (of almost 30 years)/girlfriend situation. I have one wife, and I tell her that I have many girlfriends, to which she promptly responds....

Comment

• I have one good bike and one okay bike. There are eight bikes in my garage. I suppose I could claim all but two, but the kids ride them. I dont own a single bike over $2,000. I want one, I dont have one.

Comment

• I own one road bike, and put some money down on a gravel bike on May 23 which I still don’t f’ing have yet. Maybe I just imagined I ordered that 2nd bike ☹️

Comment

• I want a carbon fiber frame.

Comment

Working...
                                X