Coronavirus 2019-nCoV

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Originally posted by C0|dB|00ded View Post

Or three weeks... (you'll recall Cuomo's endless nights of fevers and chipping teeth)

Shocked that you would describe the fever as "horrible". If you aren't a wimp, then I would say your reaction to the vaccine was definitely in the minority. We know ScRatChY is a wimp, so I can't reliably compare his experience to yours.

Stop name calling Cold. It’s how you get banned from forums over and over.

Im a wimp for wanting the vaccine to work? I’m a wimp for doing what the piece of paper that I had to sign beforehand stating that you shouldn’t take the vaccine if you don’t feel well on your scheduled vaccination date?

Im just listening to the science and I get called a wimp for it?

Listen to the science.

Unplug.
    Deuces Valley.
    ... No really, deuces.

- a smart man

Comment

Or three weeks... (you'll recall Cuomo's endless nights of fevers and chipping teeth)

Nice troll.
      Livin the dream

Comment

• A coronavirus variant first identified in Denmark is now surging through California and represents more than half of samples in 44 counties, according to new UC San Francisco data.

Worrisome coronavirus variant now linked to half of cases in California

New evidence suggests a more aggressive strain, spreading faster and causing worse illness

The team found that variant represented 53% of all positive test samples collected at the 24th Street Mission BART station in San Francisco’s predominantly Latinx community between Jan. 10 and Jan. 27 — a significant increase from November when it comprised only 16% of the positive tests, according to UCSF infectious disease expert Dr. Diane Havlir.

The Mission District study was conducted by Unidos en Salud, a volunteer-led collaboration between UC San Francisco, the Chan Zuckerberg Biohub (CZ Biohub), the Chan Zuckerberg Initiative, and the Latino Task Force for COVID-19. With the assistance of the community, scientists were able to investigate key questions about household transmission. Compared to the original virus, the L452R variant is somewhat more aggressive, with an elevated “secondary attack rate” of 35%, up from 25% — spreading more quickly within a home.

Evidence for increased transmissibility was also found by Chiu’s research. His lab detected faster rates of reproduction and increased viral “shedding,” when the virus is released into the environment. It also found that the variant was more infectious when introduced to lab-grown cells and tissues.

The proportional rise in cases statewide due to the variant was rapid, doubling every 18 days. Cases linked to the variant doubled every 14 days in Santa Clara County and 33 days in Alameda County.

To test whether antibodies could fend off this new strain, Chiu’s team tested the cultured virus in the lab against antibodies from people who were either vaccinated or had already been infected with the virus, although not this strain. They found a two- to four-fold reduction in the ability of antibodies to fend off the variant virus. This means that vaccines might have to be re-tooled to stay effective.

Will we need updated “booster” vaccines? While no one yet knows, Havlir called it “a definite possibility.”

To learn whether the variant caused more severe disease, Chiu’s team studied the medical records of patients admitted for care at UCSF. After controlling for age, gender and ethnicity, it found that people infected with the variant had significantly higher odds of being admitted to the Intensive Care Unit and dying.

The L452R variant was first detected in a few isolated cases in Denmark last March and emerged in California as early as May, although we didn’t start finding it until summer and fall. It has four mutations in the genetic code for its spike-shaped protein, used by the virus to enter cells. That’s why it is more transmissible, infecting and spreading more readily.
        This is a problem...

We can't let this spread all across the U.S. or we're looking at a 4th wave. I have no faith in half the American people though so I just hope we get lucky...

Comment

https://www.mercurynews.com/2021/02/...in-california/

Worrisome coronavirus variant now linked to half of cases in California

New evidence suggests a more aggressive strain, spreading faster and causing worse illness

This is a problem...

We can't let this spread all across the U.S. or we're looking at a 4th wave. I have no faith in half the American people though so I just hope we get lucky...
          It doesn’t matter. Your narrative has already been written. If it gets bad you’ll say told you so. If it doesn’t you’ll praise Fauci and Biden for their leadership.
          Livin the dream

Comment

• Originally posted by wufan View Post

It doesn’t matter. Your narrative has already been written. If it gets bad you’ll say told you so. If it doesn’t you’ll praise Fauci and Biden for their leadership.
            I'll always praise Fauci. His professional record is beyond reproach and his demeanor is positively angelic.

But you are correct, it doesn't matter at this point. All we can do is hope.

Comment

• mrs p got her first shot yesterday, sick last night, not going to work today (usually that takes a tornado or something)

Comment

• Sedgwick County taking appointments for those 65 and older as of today - https://www.sedgwickcounty.org/covid...cine/schedule/

Not responsible for damage from posts that sail over the reader's head.

Comment

• Not sure if guys had a defining hair style back then - maybe the Mike Gundy look :)
                  Not responsible for damage from posts that sail over the reader's head.

Comment

• Mullet.
                    Livin the dream

Comment

• Originally posted by wufan View Post
                      Mullet.
                      and...

"You Just Want to Slap The #### Outta Some People"

Comment

• MILAN (AP) — The virus swept through a nursery school and an adjacent elementary school in the Milan suburb of Bollate with amazing speed.

Europe staggers as infectious variants power virus surge

MILAN (AP) — The virus swept through a nursery school and an adjacent elementary school in the Milan suburb of Bollate with amazing speed. In a matter of just days, 45 children and 14 staff members had tested positive.

Genetic analysis confirmed what officials already suspected: The highly contagious coronavirus variant first identified in England was racing through the community, a densely packed city of nearly 40,000 with a chemical plant and a Pirelli bicycle tire factory a 15-minute drive from the heart of Milan.

“This demonstrates that the virus has a sort of intelligence. ... We can put up all the barriers in the world and imagine that they work, but in the end, it adapts and penetrates them,” lamented Bollate Mayor Francesco Vassallo.
                        Europe recorded 1 million new COVID-19 cases last week, an increase of 9% from the previous week and a reversal that ended a six-week decline in new infections, WHO said Thursday.

“The spread of the variants is driving the increase, but not only,” said Dr. Hans Kluge, WHO regional director for Europe, citing “also the opening of society, when it is not done in a safe and a controlled manner.”

The variant first found in the U.K. is spreading significantly in 27 European countries monitored by WHO and is dominant in at least 10 countries: Britain, Denmark, Italy, Ireland, Germany, France, the Netherlands, Israel, Spain and Portugal.

It is up to 50% more transmissible than the virus that surged last spring and again in the fall, making it more adept at thwarting measures that were previously effective, WHO experts warned. Scientists have concluded that it is also more deadly.

“That is why health systems are struggling more now,” Kluge said. “It really is at a tipping point. We have to hold the fort and be very vigilant.”

In Lombardy, which bore the brunt of Italy’s spring surge, intensive care wards are again filling up, with more than two-thirds of new positive tests being the UK variant, health officials said.

After putting two provinces and some 50 towns on a modified lockdown, Lombardy’s regional governor announced tightened restrictions Friday and closed classrooms for all ages. Cases in Milan schools alone surged 33% in a week, the provincial health system’s chief said.
                        This is the beginning of the "4th wave". Every wave has started in Europe and then crossed the pond. All we can do is hope. I'm putting our odds at 50/50 that we don't see another major surge in America.

Comment

• Thanks to natural mutations, more-infectious and potentially deadlier variants of the virus that causes COVID-19 are now racing around the globe and are threatening to turn back the recent progress against the disease due to vaccination.

'People should be worried' about coronavirus variants, expert says

Thanks to natural mutations, more-infectious and potentially deadlier variants of the virus that causes COVID-19 are now racing around the globe and are threatening to turn back the recent progress against the disease due to vaccination.

Last week Houston became the first big American city to report the presence of all five variants that have medical experts worried — a California strain called B.1.427/B.1.429, a New York variant classified as B.1.526, the Brazilian P.1 strain, a strain called B.1.351 that is believed to have originated in South Africa, and the U.K. mutation B.1.1.7, which the Centers for Disease Control and Prevention predicts will become the dominant strain in the U.S. by the end of the month.

Each new variant comes with new, worrisome features. P.1, for instance, has been found to make reinfection easier, while new studies show that B.1.1.7 extends the infectious period beyond the original strain.
                          Dr. Kavita Patel: I think people should be worried. There’s a large number, a majority of the population that has not been vaccinated. They should be very worried, because they are prime targets for these viruses with the variants to reproduce.

Remember, the goal of a virus is not to kill people, it’s actually just to continue to stay alive, and the only way it does that is by infecting people. People who are not vaccinated should be incredibly worried, which is why I, in turn, am very worried about the variants as I watch now 12 states and counting, very big states including Texas and Florida, lifting any sort of mask requirements or leaving it to individuals or businesses. That’s a group that should be very worried.

Even people who are vaccinated should have some concern because all these [vaccine] trials that went on, the majority of them did not happen when we had experience with these variants. So, we are all happy that the vaccines work to some degree against the variants, but we’re not quite sure how long it will last, whether we need a booster. All the manufacturers are already talking about booster vaccines, so getting a vaccine, like I did, is a ton of relief mentally, but, I’ll be honest with you, I’m still worried when I leave my house, mostly because of these variants.
                          You mentioned earlier that you were not as concerned as others that we’re going to have a fourth wave of the virus crash over us —

Oh, we’re going to have a fourth wave, but I think it will be like a blip. I’ve heard some people say this is the eye of the hurricane, this is the calm, cases are coming down and then it’s just going to blow up.

I definitely think cases will slow down and then go up; I just don’t think it’s going to be this monumental spike. And I think that’s because I think we’re going to be able to get to 2 million vaccines a day, maybe more.
                          We’ve already vaccinated that percentage that’s already gotten their first shots — those are in that population of people who are the most likely to die. It’s not all of them, but it’s definitely going to put a big dent in the death count and hopefully the case count as well.

But that also assumes that a variant won’t come along that really does evade antibodies.

Yes, which is why I do remain worried.

We’re still at 65,000 new daily cases in the U.S. Do we need to knock that number down significantly in order to start dealing with the variants, or is increasing vaccinations enough?

Oh yeah. Even in the presence of a vaccine, we need to knock those numbers down through masks and mitigation measures. The good old-fashioned stuff that we did in the first surges to try to get the numbers down because we know that if even 100 million shots could be given out tomorrow, we know about two-thirds of those still require a second dose and we know that the optimal immunity, even though you get immunity after all of the vaccines’ first shots, still takes weeks to develop.

I’ve had an incredible number of patients who have come in COVID-positive, completely perplexed by what happened: ‘Doctor, I just got my first shot one week ago.’ And so I think that despite vaccines being broadly deployed, it’s going to take weeks to see whether we can get to that level of immunity. I’m very worried, even with vaccinated people, of having the case load be that high — the community transmission rate being that high, especially in some of these states where they’re rolling back all of the restrictions.

Comment

• I'm shocked that since the plunge in new cases and deaths, that bad news is now showing up at every doormat. There is absolutely zero allowance for positivity by the media. It's all about scaring the public and imploring control. The world is gonna end when cases are skyrocketing, the world is gonna end when new cases hit 9-month lows, the world is gonna end when vaccine distribution is at an all-time high. Everything is bad, nothing is good. We will never win. Let's mask up and socially distance forever.
                            Deuces Valley.
                            ... No really, deuces.

- a smart man

Comment

• My mom got her 2nd Pfizer shot the other day and boy is she feeling it. She told me she got so weak at one point it was like a time when she was coming down with the flu and nearly passed out. My father had a sore arm and nothing else. Both my parents have incredible immune systems and have rarely been sick over my lifetime. I have a theory that the severity of one's reaction to the shot is reflective of what you might have expected had you gotten a full dose of the alien seed. We know that part of the troubles folks have with El Corona is due to the irrationally excessive reaction of the immune system. I liken the incidence of cytokine storms to what I call, "Immunal IQ". Some folks just have dumber immune systems that feel compelled to burn the entire house down when they face a complicated/novel foe.

Another interesting tidbit is that my father has a B-type blood and my mother A-type. The A's have been shown to have statistically significant harder times with Covid.

Comment

• 39 year old Utah lady dies four days after Covid vaccine. No prior health conditions. Hmm...

A 39-year-old Utah mom died just four days after receiving her second dose of the Moderna COVID-19 vaccine, according to a Wednesday report that investigated vaccine side effects.

Comment

Working...
                                X