No announcement yet.

Coronavirus 2019-nCoV

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Something that is not properly being addressed in my opinion. Suicides and overdoses are up among teens, and far exceed COVID in this age group. Why isn’t this being talked about?

https://www.foxnews.com/media/cdcs-r...ak-critic-says

Comment

• Originally posted by JVShocker View Post

Is anyone a second-timer? You are the ONLY person I know who has it, and how well do I know you? You're in another state. Seriously...would love to know if anyone is a 2nd timer
      I don’t have it, and haven’t had it that I’m aware of. MVJ has it.

No second timers. Those are exceedingly rare if they exist at all.
      Livin the dream

Comment

• Originally posted by pinstripers View Post
        I'm wondering why MLB players get a saliva test for Covid and everyone I know has a swab stuck into their brain.
        The saliva test is less reliable than the nasal swab test. They get the saliva test routinely (daily?) as a screening. The Nasal swab comes if they are symptomatic.
        Livin the dream

Comment

• https://www.marketwatch.com/story/os...des-2020-07-30

Dr. Osterholm: Americans will be living with the coronavirus for decades
          On Jan. 20, just nine days after Chinese health authorities published the DNA sequence for a new coronavirus that had sickened dozens of people in China, Dr. Michael Osterholm, an epidemiologist at the University of Minnesota, wrote in an email: “I’m certain this will cause our next pandemic.”

The next day the Centers for Disease Control and Prevention confirmed the first U.S. case of someone infected with what became known as COVID-19. Since then, as outbreaks intensified and the virus spread to Europe, and then the Americas, Osterholm, a flu expert with experience working in the CDC who heads up the Center for Infectious Disease Research and Policy, has become one of the nation’s leading voices on the pandemic, weighing in on everything from masks to contact tracing.

Osterholm’s viewpoint is sobering. The 67-year-old expects the novel coronavirus to be present for the rest of his life. He doesn’t believe the wave theory (a first wave, a lull, followed by other waves) will apply to this pandemic. “That’s not what’s happening here,” he told MarketWatch in an interview.
          MarketWatch: One of the things I’m pretty interested in is the talk and the hope around a vaccine. Do you think we have misconceptions about what it means when we have a vaccine?

Michael Osterholm: Everyone is looking at the vaccine as being a light switch: on or off. And I look at it as a rheostat, that’s going to take a long time, from turning it on from its darkest position to a lightest position. If you’re anticipating a light switch, you’re going to be concerned, confused, and in some cases very disappointed in what it might look like in those first days to months with a vaccine.

MarketWatch: I saw a piece in The Atlantic this week and I thought they positioned it well. They described it as the beginning of the end.

Osterholm: It won’t be. We will be dealing with this virus forever. Effective and safe vaccines and hopefully ones with some durability will be very important, even critical tools, in fighting it. But the whole world is going to be experiencing COVID-19 ‘til the end of time. We’re not going to be vaccinating our way out of this to eight-plus billion people in the world right now. And if we don’t get durable immunity, we’re potentially looking at revaccination on a routine basis, if we can do that. We’ve really got to come to grips with actually living with this virus, for at least my lifetime, and at the same time, it doesn’t mean we can’t do a lot about it.

MarketWatch: Do you think we’re going to see some of these vaccines fail in clinical studies?

Osterholm: One of the challenges we have is: what do we mean by fail? What’s the definition? Some people right now have a view that any vaccine that isn’t like the measles vaccine is going to be a challenge, meaning they’ve got to work 93% to 98% of the time. I don’t think there’s any sense that that’s going to happen with this vaccine. That doesn’t mean that there isn’t going to be an effective vaccine at 50%, 60% or 70%.
          MarketWatch: Do you think we’re going to see distinct waves of outbreaks in the U.S.?

Osterholm: No, no. They’re not waves. We’ve never had a pandemic due to coronavirus before. We’ve had influenza pandemics. With an influenza pandemic, you do get true waves, meaning you get a first big peak of cases, then the numbers come down substantially without any human intervention. It’s nothing we do. We’ve never understood why that happens, and then a few months later you get a second wave. At this point, that’s not what’s happening here.

This is like a forest fire, full steam ahead. And wherever there’s human wood to burn, it’ll do it. What we see, though, are these spikes in cases where human mitigation strategies ended, or they’re not adhering to them ... This is just one constant pressure that’s occurring.

MarketWatch: And human mitigation [like mask wearing or social distancing] declines?

Osterholm: Right. And everyone’s expecting it. Look at Hong Kong, which is doing an outstanding public health follow up, and yet they are still having a problem. Think of this like a big forest fire. If you’re in the way of it, you’re going to get burned. The best we can do is try to put out as much as we can. But even knowing that, if you just suppress it, it’s going to come back. The embers are still there because we never really put it out.
          A well-informed expert on the issue.

https://ktla.com/news/nationworld/op...-the-90-range/

Operation Warp Speed leader predicts effectiveness of coronavirus vaccine to be ‘in the 90%’ range
          The head of the government’s effort to develop a vaccine against Covid-19 says he expects the vaccine to have efficacy rates “in the 90%” range — but that there might not be enough vaccines available for all Americans until the end of next year.

“I think it will be a very effective vaccine. That’s my prediction,” said Moncef Slaoui, chief adviser of Operation Warp Speed. “My personal opinion based on my experience and the biology of this virus, I think this vaccine is going to be highly efficacious. I wouldn’t be surprised if it’s in the 90% [range].”

Slaoui, an immunologist, formerly headed up the vaccine program at GlaxoSmithKline, where he led the development of five major novel vaccines.

He said there would be enough vaccines for all Americans “ideally” by the middle of 2021, but possibly not until the end of 2021.
          Strange news. Production in the hundreds of millions of vials of vaccine have already begun with some companies before efficacy or safety is proven. I can't even imagine a 90% number but his confidence is reassuring. I also can't imagine that "the rest of us" won't have access to vaccines within a few months after initial release (around Dec.)... unless we send the lion's share to the "**** hole" countries first. There's zero chance that Trump will be sharing vaccines with other nations until every last American has gotten their dose. At this point, the U.S. Govt. just about owns most of the vaccine front-runners with all the cash they've showered upon them. Tens of billions and counting...

https://www.kwch.com/2020/07/31/covi...-doctors-warn/

COVID-19 could cause lasting heart damage, local doctor warns
          WICHITA, Kan. (KWCH) - While many recover from COVID-19 with little to no noticeable health setbacks, others are finding out they will have lasting effects.

What we do know about COVID-19, is people are getting sick, and some are recovering. What we don’t know, is all the lasting impacts it can have on your body.

“Believe me, you do not want to have what we have been seeing recently,” said Dr. Bassem Chehad with Ascension Via Christi in Wichita.

Dr. Chehad is the Medical Director for the Structural Heart Program at Ascension Via Christi, and says even if you aren’t hospitalized, you could have lasting heart damage.
          “The unlucky people are being hit very bad and they are going to have to live with this for many, many years to come,” said Dr. Chehad.

Anything from heart failure, to acute or massive heart attacks and clotting. He’s seen patients anywhere from 18 to almost 90 years old, but says mainly it’s impacting middle-aged people.

Patients are being treated with either medication or pacemakers. In some cases, people are on a heart transplant list.

“People at a younger age think they are indestructible, everything is fine, they can weather any virus. But what we have found out so far is that COVID 19 is not a simple virus,” Dr. Chehad said.

He says it’s definitely not just the flu.
          No doubt. This is one insidious, alien virus and should be avoided if at all possible.

It's July 31st, 1pm, and my advice remains the same: Avoid! Stop the spread! Encourage others to limit their public excursions and wear those masks when around "strangers".

Have a safe and uninfected weekend everyone!

Comment

• I decided a couple weeks ago to volunteer for the Pfizer and BioNTech Phase 3 trials for the COVID-19 Vaccine. Figured it was a way I could do my part in trying to get us through this mess. Yesterday I received my first of 2 injections and was told it's a 2 to 1 ratio of vaccine to placebo. As sore as my arm is today, I have a hard time believing I received normal saline, but who knows.

The study is supposed to last slightly longer than 2 years. Don't understand how we could posibly start rolling out a vaccine to the entire country by the end of the year unless they just take a couple months worth of data from us and run with it.

We'll see how this goes.

Comment

• Originally posted by wichshock65 View Post
              I decided a couple weeks ago to volunteer for the Pfizer and BioNTech Phase 3 trials for the COVID-19 Vaccine. Figured it was a way I could do my part in trying to get us through this mess. Yesterday I received my first of 2 injections and was told it's a 2 to 1 ratio of vaccine to placebo. As sore as my arm is today, I have a hard time believing I received normal saline, but who knows.

The study is supposed to last slightly longer than 2 years. Don't understand how we could posibly start rolling out a vaccine to the entire country by the end of the year unless they just take a couple months worth of data from us and run with it.

We'll see how this goes.
              Thanks, man. I read an article from a guy in the Moderna phase I trial who said he felt pretty gnarly for about 24 hours. I hope you have no such ill effects. In any event, much respect, appreciation and well wishes to you.
              Wichita State, home of the All-Americans.

Comment

• Fauci and Redfield advocate for kids returning to schools:

https://thehill.com/changing-america...chools-despite

https://nypost.com/2020/07/31/cdc-he...eopen-schools/

“I don’t think I can emphasize it enough as the director for the Centers for Disease Control, the leading public health agency in the world — it is in the public health interest that these K through 12 students to get the schools back open for face-to-face learning,” Dr. Robert Redfield told lawmakers with the House Select Subcommittee on the Coronavirus Crisis.

Redfield, a grandfather of 11 children, including one with cystic fibrosis, noted the important role schools play in mental health services and reporting of child abuse.

“I want these kids back in school,” he said. “I want it done smartly but I think we have to be honest that the public health and interest of the students in the nation right now is to get a quality education and face-to-face learning. We need to get on with it.”

Comment

• Originally posted by MikeKennedyRulZ View Post
                  Let's mark so that there is no misunderstandings about who is advocating this.

Comment

• Originally posted by wichshock65 View Post
                    I decided a couple weeks ago to volunteer for the Pfizer and BioNTech Phase 3 trials for the COVID-19 Vaccine. Figured it was a way I could do my part in trying to get us through this mess. Yesterday I received my first of 2 injections and was told it's a 2 to 1 ratio of vaccine to placebo. As sore as my arm is today, I have a hard time believing I received normal saline, but who knows.

We'll see how this goes.
                    Cool! Before I got infected, I wanted to sign up for the trial. Takes balls. Good for you!
                    There are three rules that I live by: never get less than twelve hours sleep; never play cards with a guy who has the same first name as a city; and never get involved with a woman with a tattoo of a dagger on her body. Now you stick to that, and everything else is cream cheese.

Comment

• Originally posted by MoValley John View Post

Cool! Before I got infected, I wanted to sign up for the trial. Takes balls. Good for you!
                      I'm hoping huge balls are a side effect of the drug. That and hair growth.

Comment

• Originally posted by MikeKennedyRulZ View Post
                        Something that is not properly being addressed in my opinion. Suicides and overdoses are up among teens, and far exceed COVID in this age group. Why isn’t this being talked about?

https://www.foxnews.com/media/cdcs-r...ak-critic-says
                        Because those lives don’t demand page clicks and don’t matter as much.
                        Deuces Valley.
                        ... No really, deuces.

- a smart man

Comment

• "I'm not in a position to determine what the government can do in a forceful way."

Says the creep who had no problem with anonymous people hooking up online. That doesn't even qualify as intelligent political speak.

Waffler.jpg

No wonder the Snowflakes and 1/2 Snowflakes are fan-boys of that ghoulish political hack. Next, we'll here it's the Trump virus. Oh, wait...

Comment

• Originally posted by ShockingButTrue View Post
                            "I'm not in a position to determine what the government can do in a forceful way."

Says the creep who had no problem with anonymous people hooking up online. That doesn't even qualify as intelligent political speak.

Waffler.jpg

No wonder the Snowflakes and 1/2 Snowflakes are fan-boys of that ghoulish political hack. Next, we'll here it's the Trump virus. Oh, wait...
                            It's getting frustrating constantly moving political posts out of this thread. There is a thread you can go nuts in, so please police yourself a bit more before you post in this one.
                            Kung Wu say, man making mistake in elevator wrong on many levels.

Comment

• https://www.clinicaltrialsarena.com/...arbs-covid-19/

Interesting read on the role of ACE inhibitors and ARBs in the treatment of Covid. Phase II clinical trials underway.

I was initially skeptic about blood clots from Covid, but now see the mechanism for the symptom. Also of note is that they aren’t sure if ACE inhibitors, used to treat high blood pressure (specifically in diabetics), are helpful or harmful in fighting the disease.
                              Livin the dream

Comment

• Originally posted by wufan View Post
                                https://www.clinicaltrialsarena.com/...arbs-covid-19/

Interesting read on the role of ACE inhibitors and ARBs in the treatment of Covid. Phase II clinical trials underway.

I was initially skeptic about blood clots from Covid, but now see the mechanism for the symptom. Also of note is that they aren’t sure if ACE inhibitors, used to treat high blood pressure (specifically in diabetics), are helpful or harmful in fighting the disease.
                                I have an idea of what they are saying but can you give an explanation that I can totally understand?

Comment

Working...
                                X