Coronavirus 2019-nCoV

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Originally posted by revenge_of_shocka_khan View Post

Then all I have to say is hang in there. This isn't fun for anybody.
    Not concerned. I practice hand washing and stringent social distancing. Also I spend 60 hours a week developing treatments and cures for this virus.
    Livin the dream

Comment

• Originally posted by Windiwu View Post
      Do all these people who refuse to wear masks also refuse to buy car insurance or wear seat belts... Obviously those are also government instances of interferring in your freedom to do as you wish. Do you also demand the freedom to drive drunk?
      Anyone that refuses to wear a mask when it is required by the business is an asshole. Anyone that bitches that people aren’t wearing masks when it is required to do so is an asshole.
      Livin the dream

Comment

Do all these people who refuse to wear masks also refuse to buy car insurance or wear seat belts... Obviously those are also government instances of interferring in your freedom to do as you wish. Do you also demand the freedom to drive drunk?
        I will wear a mask. You seem to be a part of the mob who wants everyone to agree with them. Cancel, expel, or remove anyone who disagrees. You might even go so far as to cancel statues of Lincoln,/Washington, or Confederate leaders who they disagree with. I think democracy should determine these things. The majority should decide through local, or state governments. Donuts just cancel people from universities, or others (statues for example) by the mob.

Comment

• On mask wearing, I’ve seen some very disingenuous statements in the public, and feel that some of them are being conflated with general public “maskers” and “anti-maskers”. Below are my disagreements.

Anti-maskers: You have no right to tell me what to do.

In areas of public health, we have ceded that gov regs are permissible for the public safety. Seat belts and no smoking are two obvious things.

Maskers: If you are refusing to wear a mask Then you are selfish.

There are many ways to protect the public. Poor quality, poorly fitted masks is pretty low. Did you ever wear a mask for flu season?

Anti-maskers: it’s difficult to breath

If you don’t require oxygen it shouldn’t be for low stress activities.

maskers: it’s not difficult to breathe.

Try exerting yourself in a mask. You wear out quickly.

Anti-maskers: masks don’t work.

N95 masks work pretty well. Well fitted, high quality surgical masks work if you don’t touch your face ever and never drink or eat in public.

Maskers: masks save lives

The standard fair of cloth crap people put on their face are garbage. They constantly touch their face, pull it down so they can enunciate, and remove it to eat or drink.
          Livin the dream

Comment

• Which of you maskers has ever been fit-tested? I have! If you want to check your fit, run smelling salts under your nose.
            Livin the dream

Comment

• Originally posted by wufan View Post
              On mask wearing, I’ve seen some very disingenuous statements in the public, and feel that some of them are being conflated with general public “maskers” and “anti-maskers”. Below are my disagreements.

Anti-maskers: You have no right to tell me what to do.

In areas of public health, we have ceded that gov regs are permissible for the public safety. Seat belts and no smoking are two obvious things.

Maskers: If you are refusing to wear a mask Then you are selfish.

There are many ways to protect the public. Poor quality, poorly fitted masks is pretty low. Did you ever wear a mask for flu season?

Anti-maskers: it’s difficult to breath

If you don’t require oxygen it shouldn’t be for low stress activities.

maskers: it’s not difficult to breathe.

Try exerting yourself in a mask. You wear out quickly.

Anti-maskers: masks don’t work.

N95 masks work pretty well. Well fitted, high quality surgical masks work if you don’t touch your face ever and never drink or eat in public.

Maskers: masks save lives

The standard fair of cloth crap people put on their face are garbage. They constantly touch their face, pull it down so they can enunciate, and remove it to eat or drink.
              i have a very nice supply of N95's set back. I bought them on Ebay. They are probably knock-offs. Let me switch to my cell and I'll send a picture.

Comment

• You do not have permission to view this gallery.
                This gallery has 1 photos.

Comment

• Has to give you a lot of confidence.
                  Livin the dream

Comment

Has to give you a lot of confidence.
                    Given that most of them are made in China anyway (just different factories), no, it doesn't bother me.

They are better than the kerchiefs I see people wearing. I don't think there's anything out there that can give you absolute protection. I'd rather wear something than nothing. And just to note, my girlfriend paid $10 for 4 in Houston - they look exactly like the ones I got over the weekend (for about a buck apiece- they say they are Bonmed). I know of people who can get masks from companies that sell dental supplies (or if you have one of those hospital supply catalogs you might be able to get the real deal from them). Lastly, if you want to pay about $5 per pop, you can even get the 3M N95's, which are probably as good as they get (provided they aren't knock-offs).

You can be a little more brave about this than I can, when you start having it circulate pretty freely in McPherson, I may ask you again if you feel the same way. When you get up to about a couple hundred active cases, let me know.

Speaking of that, her beautician now has Covid. She's out of the woods because she hadn't been there in two weeks, but I'm sure it caused drama (I'm not in Houston).

I'm a risk analyst. It's about managing risk. You wear a mask when you are out, in conjunction with other risk mitigation efforts (staying locked down, not getting out any more than you have to, shrinking your social circle), the best one being staying locked down. I don't think anyone is saying that social distancing isn't effective. You can debate masks with me, I will still wear mine.

Comment

I fit in to your group of high risk as noted above. Just FYI.
                      As do I. Plus I have a (mildly) compromised immune system and suffer from asthma. I completely support any business that requires a mask, and if I happen upon one, I turn around and go elsewhere. I stubbornly practice social distancing. I will go out of my way to stay as far from everyone as possible no matter where I am.

I wore a mask (the ones that are not effective) for several hours per day while I watched a loved one in their final days (not CV-19 related) and the experience was beyond painful. Literally I couldn't breathe. While it would be exceedingly difficult for me to work or do even the most basic of tasks while wearing a mask, I would take the same approach were I completely healthy. If you want to wear a mask, wear a mask. I have zero problem with that. I watch people all day long take the masks on and off, stand next to others (with or without masks), touch their faces constantly if not obsessively and touch others without washing or spraying down.

Whomever made the comment about being same as having the right to drive drunk.....that possibly wins the award for most moronic post of all time.

Maybe, MAYBE in a perfect world where everyone wore a mask all the time (including at home) and washed their hands after touching anything or anyone, stayed 6 feet away from everyone (including family they live with), never touched their face and had the ability to isolate in a safe room if they ever tested positive (assuming that free, immediate response self tests were constantly available to everyone everywhere for free) then just maybe the masks might be responsible for a slight reduction in transmission. As it is they give false hope, reduce social distancing (they absolutely do NOT reinforce it) and are scientifically proven not to be effective.

This is just another extension of the problem that's plaguing this country of late (last 20 years or so). We obsess on the most bizarre of circumstances and apply what we think is the fix to everyone. Same thing with the Floyd issue. One man dies, the whole system must be thrown out. One mistake, or one tragedy, and we start over. It's insanity, and it has to stop.

Comment

Driving a car is not a right, it's a privilege and with that privilege comes responsibility like purchasing insurance. If you told me I have to buy full coverage when I own my car, then that's wrong. It's not wrong to require liability coverage (although hundreds of thousands drive with out it, many of them non-citizens and they all cause the rest of us to pay more, but that's another discussion for another day). I don't believe the government has the right to tell me I have to wear a safety belt, but I concede it's a tricky discussion. I do believe they have the right to protect children in that manner. Again, tricky.

Comment

• We went from 40 cases to 75 cases in the last two weeks. Three clusters contribute to half of that. One quarter is definitely community spread. The other 1/4 is presumed due to travel or large outdoor sporting events.
                          Livin the dream

Comment

We went from 40 cases to 75 cases in the last two weeks. Three clusters contribute to half of that. One quarter is definitely community spread. The other 1/4 is presumed due to travel or large outdoor sporting events.
                            Or attending mass protests, campaign rallies, in-person church services and so forth. Since there are NO large outdoor sporting events going on right now, let's just call this for what it is, because it is obvious it is not 'large sporting events', that seems to be a classification mechanism to allow for more efficient and accurate data analysis. I'm not arguing that it is correct, I am just saying the name is a little off.

Comment

• Originally posted by revenge_of_shocka_khan View Post

Or attending mass protests, campaign rallies, in-person church services and so forth. Since there are NO large outdoor sporting events going on right now, let's just call this for what it is, because it is obvious it is not 'large sporting events', that seems to be a classification mechanism to allow for more efficient and accurate data analysis. I'm not arguing that it is correct, I am just saying the name is a little off.
                              Here in McP, youth sports are a hell of a thing. We’ve had baseball tourneys, tennis tourneys, basketball tourneys, etc. My sons teasing program, which has 80 middle school participants just “paused” because 6 parents/coaches at a tourney came back as positive or presumed positive. That’s 6just for McPherson county tennis.
                              Livin the dream

Comment

• CV in 3 places.jpg
                                The future's so bright - I gotta wear shades.
                                We like to cut down nets and get sized for championship rings.

Comment

Working...
                                X