No announcement yet.

Coronavirus 2019-nCoV

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• About masks. I did a little digging and wufan's position seems to be an outlier.

Dr. Fauci, Dr. Birx, and the CDC all support wearing masks. The CDC is considered one of the premiere scientific and medical bodies in the world.

The scientific research I've found indicates that masks reduce the spread of the virus from carriers by a factor of 6.

wufan's scientific citations point out that the virus is so small that it can easily pass through any cloth mask, regardless of the layers. This is true. The aerosol transmission of CV is almost exclusively considered to be in minute exhaled droplets. Those droplets carrying the virus are large enough to be caught by a cloth mask. CV does not have legs. It cannot travel under its own power.

Then there is the anecdotal evidence that nations that quickly and stringently enforced the wearing of masks had incredibly better results than the USA. S. Korea and the USA had their first confirmed cases the same day. S. Korea immediately put out an order to wear masks. They also started intense testing and contact tracing. S. Korea never shut down their economy. Never issued "stay at home" orders. S. Korea has had less than 300 deaths from CV. Maybe they're under reporting their deaths, but under reporting by a factor of 20 would result in less than 6,000 deaths.

The arguments against wearing masks don't seem to be based on best medical practices.

S. Korea did have a secondary surge in cases as soon as their citizens thought the threat was over and abandoned some of the mitigation that had been part of their daily lives. We got to the same point while we were plateauing at our national peak, which pushed us to new record numbers of cases.
    The future's so bright - I gotta wear shades.
    We like to cut down nets and get sized for championship rings.

Comment

• Originally posted by Aargh View Post
      About masks. I did a little digging and wufan's position seems to be an outlier.

Dr. Fauci, Dr. Birx, and the CDC all support wearing masks. The CDC is considered one of the premiere scientific and medical bodies in the world.

The scientific research I've found indicates that masks reduce the spread of the virus from carriers by a factor of 6.

wufan's scientific citations point out that the virus is so small that it can easily pass through any cloth mask, regardless of the layers. This is true. The aerosol transmission of CV is almost exclusively considered to be in minute exhaled droplets. Those droplets carrying the virus are large enough to be caught by a cloth mask. CV does not have legs. It cannot travel under its own power.

Then there is the anecdotal evidence that nations that quickly and stringently enforced the wearing of masks had incredibly better results than the USA. S. Korea and the USA had their first confirmed cases the same day. S. Korea immediately put out an order to wear masks. They also started intense testing and contact tracing. S. Korea never shut down their economy. Never issued "stay at home" orders. S. Korea has had less than 300 deaths from CV. Maybe they're under reporting their deaths, but under reporting by a factor of 20 would result in less than 6,000 deaths.

The arguments against wearing masks don't seem to be based on best medical practices.

S. Korea did have a secondary surge in cases as soon as their citizens thought the threat was over and abandoned some of the mitigation that had been part of their daily lives. We got to the same point while we were plateauing at our national peak, which pushed us to new record numbers of cases.
      Can you provide the article that shows a 6 fold transmission decrease of COVID from wearing a cloth mask please?

Remember, aerosolized droplets are not the only way these travel. They are expelled in air as well as saliva as it exits your mouth. I can’t tell you the percentage, but smaller viruses travel on smaller droplets and without droplets at all.

Also: Good on you for doing some research and making your own decision.
      Last edited by wufan; June 28, 2020, 07:59 AM.
      Livin the dream

Comment

• I wish people would just wear the mask until this virus is over. Not wearing a mask just proves you don't care about the health of those around you.

Comment

• I got the following push atert on my phone last night:
          STAY HOME: The COVID-19 virus is spreading rapidly across ********** county. Local hospitals are approaching capacity. Protect yourseLf and your family. Stay home except for essential activities, wear a face covering and avoid gathering with people outside your household. STAY SAFE.

At least I can social distance at my local drive-through car wash. I also need gas and my weekly trip to the grocery.

Comment

• Originally posted by revenge_of_shocka_khan View Post
            I got the following push atert on my phone last night:
            STAY HOME: The COVID-19 virus is spreading rapidly across ********** county. Local hospitals are approaching capacity. Protect yourseLf and your family. Stay home except for essential activities, wear a face covering and avoid gathering with people outside your household. STAY SAFE.

At least I can social distance at my local drive-through car wash. I also need gas and my weekly trip to the grocery.
            What state do you live in?

Comment

• Originally posted by wichshock65 View Post

What state do you live in?
              Texas.

Comment

• Originally posted by B1ShockFan View Post
                I wish people would just wear the mask until this virus is over. Not wearing a mask just proves you don't care about the health of those around you.
                This is an false and defammatory comment by a person who refuses the see there are two sides.

Comment

• Just tell me about this other side.

Comment

• Originally posted by B1ShockFan View Post
                    Just tell me about this other side.
                    It’s been stated several times.
                    Livin the dream

Comment

• Originally posted by Shockm View Post

This is an false and defammatory comment by a person who refuses the see there are two sides.
                      I think the reason people are so emotional about this is that folks that are at high risk look at the anti-mask crowd and see the crazy train. If you were a cancer survivor (compromised immune system) asthma or COPD sufferrer, elderly or have had your immune system otherwise compromised, you would probably be reacting in a much different way. I suspect there is at one person posting here who is probably more aligned with me than most here on ShockerNet because they are a cancer survivor.

The exact reason I'm very much pro-mask is that I'm 65 and diabetic. I don't take insulin, but if I got sick I would probably be on it for the rest of my life, because that's what happens to diabetics.

My daughter refuses to have visitors, she is very paranoid of the pandemic. I'd rather see her that way (and not get to see my grandkids) until we have a plentiful supply of vaccine. I can talk to her on the phone and see my grandkids through a window until this gets resolved.

All this involves personal choices UNLESS you are out in public. Then, from our point of view, you are recklessly and needlessly endangering others. Also note I do not wear a mask when exercising. It's kind of hard to keep your heart rate around 150 for 90 minutes and wear a mask. :)

Comment

I think the reason people are so emotional about this is that folks that are at high risk look at the anti-mask crowd and see the crazy train. If you were a cancer survivor (compromised immune system) asthma or COPD sufferrer, elderly or have had your immune system otherwise compromised, you would probably be reacting in a much different way. I suspect there is at one person posting here who is probably more aligned with me than most here on ShockerNet because they are a cancer survivor.

The exact reason I'm very much pro-mask is that I'm 65 and diabetic. I don't take insulin, but if I got sick I would probably be on it for the rest of my life, because that's what happens to diabetics.

My daughter refuses to have visitors, she is very paranoid of the pandemic. I'd rather see her that way (and not get to see my grandkids) until we have a plentiful supply of vaccine. I can talk to her on the phone and see my grandkids through a window until this gets resolved.

All this involves personal choices UNLESS you are out in public. Then, from our point of view, you are recklessly and needlessly endangering others. Also note I do not wear a mask when exercising. It's kind of hard to keep your heart rate around 150 for 90 minutes and wear a mask. :)
                        I fit in to your group of high risk as noted above. Just FYI.
                        Livin the dream

Comment

There are many options today for curbside service and on line ordering that there is no reason to put yourself at risk. You don’t have to go inside of any business. I truly respect the right of businesses to require mask wearing by employees or customers if they choose but no one should be forced by government to do so. I won’t do dumb things to expose myself, but I refuse to live my own life in fear of living or dying.

Comment

• Originally posted by wufan View Post

I fit in to your group of high risk as noted above. Just FYI.
                            Then all I have to say is hang in there. This isn't fun for anybody.

Comment

• Originally posted by Shockm View Post

There are many options today for curbside service and on line ordering that there is no reason to put yourself at risk. You don’t have to go inside of any business. I truly respect the right of businesses to require mask wearing by employees or customers if they choose but no one should be forced by government to do so. I won’t do dumb things to expose myself, but I refuse to live my own life in fear of living or dying.
                              No, I'm getting out. Even went by the meat market today (which I don't usually do on Sundays) but I noticed they were not busy. Hopefully I won't be so busy the week following the 4th that I can take a long lunch and go over there to stock up.

Comment

• Do all these people who refuse to wear masks also refuse to buy car insurance or wear seat belts... Obviously those are also government instances of interferring in your freedom to do as you wish. Do you also demand the freedom to drive drunk?

Comment

Working...
                                X