No announcement yet.

Coronavirus 2019-nCoV

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• It will be interesting to see if the anti-pneumonia shot that they recommend for people over a certain age (of which I am) had any affect on the severity of the new virus or whether those that have had said shots were less likely to develop sever respiratory problems.

Comment

• Originally posted by ShockerFever View Post

I honestly think the most extreme, worst-case scenario, no precaution action numbers were released to get Americans to take it seriously. If more reasonable (and flu comparable) numbers were put out, I bet a lot of people would ease their guard against this. Again, I'm not saying it isn't serious, it absolutely is, but for a lot of Americans, you have to really make things look dire to get them to take things seriously. I'm sure if we weren't doing what we're doing, there would be higher death totals. How high? Who knows? But in order for the American public to take it seriously, you have to put out scary numbers and scenarios. Otherwise, they just ignore it.

So in that sense, I guess I'm ok with the scare tactics. I'm not saying 200,000 deaths weren't unreasonable if NOTHING was done to slow it or mitigate it. But those numbers scare the **** out of people so, it actually helps the cause.

At the rate we're going, I think the virus would have to peak in June for it to reach 200,000 deaths. As it stand nows, we could be peaking within the next week or two.
      You really do have to scare the crap out of people to get their attention. I agree completely with this post.

Comment

• Were I look at and the sire referenced by Dr Birx is https://covid19.healthdata.org/united-states-of-america

They are now at 81,000 deaths by Aug 4th,

Comment

• Originally posted by pogo View Post
          It will be interesting to see if the anti-pneumonia shot that they recommend for people over a certain age (of which I am) had any affect on the severity of the new virus or whether those that have had said shots were less likely to develop sever respiratory problems.
          That pneumonia shot is for the bacterial version, not the viral caused version. It is unlikely to have any effect.

But you should still get your pneumonia shot ;).
          The mountains are calling, and I must go.

Comment

• Thanks..for letting me know there were TWO types. I have had both shots for the bacterial so there is that.

Comment

• Going from 20-25 to 200 per day is far too many to be a coincidence or insignificant.

Comment

• Originally posted by ShockerFever View Post

I honestly think the most extreme, worst-case scenario, no precaution action numbers were released to get Americans to take it seriously. If more reasonable (and flu comparable) numbers were put out, I bet a lot of people would ease their guard against this. Again, I'm not saying it isn't serious, it absolutely is, but for a lot of Americans, you have to really make things look dire to get them to take things seriously. I'm sure if we weren't doing what we're doing, there would be higher death totals. How high? Who knows? But in order for the American public to take it seriously, you have to put out scary numbers and scenarios. Otherwise, they just ignore it.

So in that sense, I guess I'm ok with the scare tactics. I'm not saying 200,000 deaths weren't unreasonable if NOTHING was done to slow it or mitigate it. But those numbers scare the **** out of people so, it actually helps the cause.

At the rate we're going, I think the virus would have to peak in June for it to reach 200,000 deaths. As it stand nows, we could be peaking within the next week or two.
                Spot on Fev.

Comment

• Key Trump coronavirus task force must work remotely after positive COVID-19 test

Comment

• Originally posted by RoyalShock View Post
                    Going from 20-25 to 200 per day is far too many to be a coincidence or insignificant.

Damn:

The FDNY says it responded to 2,192 cases of deaths at home between March 20th and April 5th, or about 130 a day, an almost 400 percent increase from the same time period last year. (In 2019, there were just 453 cardiac arrest calls where a patient died, according to the FDNY.)

That number has been steadily increasing since March 30th, with 241 New Yorkers dying at home Sunday — more than the number of confirmed COVID-19 deaths that occurred citywide that day. On Monday night, the city reported 266 new deaths, suggesting the possibility of a 40% undercount of coronavirus-related deaths.
                    Hard to overstate how disturbing that increase is.
                    Last edited by wsushox1; April 7, 2020, 01:03 PM.
                    The mountains are calling, and I must go.

Comment

• 1,417 new cases with 70 deaths yesterday in Louisiana.

Comment

• Originally posted by Downtown Shocker Brown View Post
                        1,417 new cases with 70 deaths yesterday in Louisiana.
                        LA is in it 4th day of having a growth rate <1 (2 day average).

Comment

• Interesting study about efficacy of lockdown measures vs. social distancing. Note, this article isn't the study, but is about the study's conclusion.

Comment

• Originally posted by RoyalShock View Post
                            Interesting study about efficacy of lockdown measures vs. social distancing. Note, this article isn't the study, but is about the study's conclusion.

https://www.thecollegefix.com/univer...rom-lockdowns/
                            If I'm understanding correctly - "We should treat this like we do everything else and it would have been fine".

Comment

• Originally posted by Awesome Sauce Malone View Post

If I'm understanding correctly - "We should treat this like we do everything else and it would have been fine".
                              No. It is saying statistically: Social distancing is necessary and sufficient to substantially slow growth rates. Lockdowns, however, are unnecessary and provide no benefit over social distancing.
                              Kung Wu say, man making mistake in elevator wrong on many levels.

Comment

• Originally posted by Kung Wu View Post

No. It is saying statistically: Social distancing is necessary and sufficient to substantially slow growth rates. Lockdowns, however, are unnecessary and provide no benefit over social distancing.
                                That's how I understood it.
                                "You Just Want to Slap The #### Outta Some People"

Comment

Working...
                                X