The Imminent Stool Flushing of The Kansas City Eagle

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by MelvinLoudermilk View Post
    I stopped getting the paper but the KC Eagle keeps dumping a Neighbors supplemental paper on my driveway that I don’t want and never asked for. Everyone on my block just picks it up and puts it immediately in their dumpsters.

If you know someone advertising in Neighbors, let them know they are flushing their money down the toilet
    That silly “Neighbors” ad packet could be argued to be the #1 source of random litter in yards and gutters in all of Wichita.

Litter and deforestation is just fine when it helps further the cause of that dirty capitalism thing. The irony (considering the ideological views of Eagle staff)... thick like honey stored just above absolute zero.

Comment

A little disappointed in Paul’s quantity of work. I get far more info from following various twitter accounts and of course from Taylor.

Wish Koch would buy the Eagle and make it a true hometown newspaper again.

Comment

Originally posted by Veritas View Post
        A little disappointed in Paul’s quantity of work. I get far more info from following various twitter accounts and of course from Taylor.

Wish Koch would buy the Eagle and make it a true hometown newspaper again.
        most white men over 50 that identify as republicans would agree with you.

Comment

Originally posted by abdullah_sharif View Post

most white men over 50 that identify as republicans would agree with you.
          And that's terrible how? That we have a great city paper again?

Comment

I think it would be interesting to see a local paper approach things like these sites do nationally: https://www.allsides.com/ and https://www.theperspective.com/
            Be who you are and say what you feel, because those who mind don't matter, and those who matter don't mind. ~Dr. Seuss

Comment

Originally posted by molly jabali View Post

And that's terrible how? That we have a great city paper again?
              Obviously, Abdullah is a muslim that is under 50 and votes democrat. How could you miss that?

Comment

Originally posted by Shockm View Post

Obviously, Abdullah is a muslim that is under 50 and votes democrat. How could you miss that?
                I think you're making an inaccurate assumption (a$$/u/me)...

"You Just Want to Slap The #### Outta Some People"

Comment

Yeah, not to get too political here, but I think Abdullah's point was that putting the Eagle in the hands of one of the most radically conservative billionaires in the country is a step in the wrong direction.

I'd love to see more media go the direction of nonprofit--like NPR. I think the root cause of journalism's issues the past quarter century is the obsession for ratings and being the first to report. The profit motive is great for most pursuits, but isn't suited for everything.
                  "It's amazing to watch Ron slide into that open area, Fred will find him and it's straight cash homie."--HCGM

Comment

Originally posted by Rocky Mountain Shock View Post
                    Yeah, not to get too political here, but I think Abdullah's point was that putting the Eagle in the hands of one of the most radically conservative billionaires in the country is a step in the wrong direction.

I'd love to see more media go the direction of nonprofit--like NPR. I think the root cause of journalism's issues the past quarter century is the obsession for ratings and being the first to report. The profit motive is great for most pursuits, but isn't suited for everything.
                    Can you give us some examples of this radicalism ?

Comment

Whelp .. Kung Wu This already was a borderline off-topic thread .. and now it's gone political .. Might as well move this out of the basketball forum.

Comment

Originally posted by Stickboy46 View Post
                        Whelp .. Kung Wu This already was a borderline off-topic thread .. and now it's gone political .. Might as well move this out of the basketball forum.

I agree with that.
                        Kung Wu say, man making mistake in elevator wrong on many levels.

Comment

Originally posted by ABC View Post

Can you give us some examples of this radicalism ?
                          Honestly, I'd rather not. It was not meant as a slight or insult, just a observation about where Libertarianism lands on the political spectrum irrespective of whether Libertarianism is wrong or right. I respect Koch, actually. And he has done great things for WSU. That my statement that he (who himself identifies as Libertarian) is radically conservative was somehow so shocking or confusing as to prompt someone to ask me to justify it gives me all the information I need to know 1) How my examples will be received and 2) Where this conversation is going. My apologies for the trigger.

My point was to say should the Eagle have new owners, I'd rather them not be political activists--left or right. The media (especially local media) should not be influenced by its ownership. I'd be happy to discuss that.
                          Last edited by Rocky Mountain Shock; February 5, 2020, 12:25 PM.
                          "It's amazing to watch Ron slide into that open area, Fred will find him and it's straight cash homie."--HCGM

Comment

Politics aside, not sure how you would even make a traditional newspaper work these days unless it was treated like cable in which you could get 20 different papers that are behind a paywall for $10.00 a month for all and earn the rest of the revenue selling ads?

Comment

NPR is not a good example to use for being unbiased. They are right up there with CNN and MSNBC in bias. Pretty much refutes your argument that a non-profit model eliminates bias. It does not.

I used to listen to NPR (KMUW) every day pretty much non-stop from 8 am to 5 pm, but turned them off for good a couple of years ago because I could no longer stomach their bias. I also used to support them financially, but no more.

Comment

Honestly, I'd rather not. It was not meant as a slight or insult, just a observation about where Libertarianism lands on the political spectrum irrespective of whether Libertarianism is wrong or right. I respect Koch, actually. And he has done great things for WSU. That my statement that he (who himself identifies as Libertarian) is radically conservative was somehow so shocking or confusing as to prompt someone to ask me to justify it gives me all the information I need to know 1) How my examples will be received and 2) Where this conversation is going. My apologies for the trigger.

My point was to say should the Eagle have new owners, I'd rather them not be political activists--left or right. The media (especially local media) should not be influenced by its ownership. I'd be happy to discuss that.
                                If you identify the libertarian ideology as a form of conservatism, you might need to read up more on the ideology. It borrows from both classic conservatism and classic liberalism. It's its own thing.

Comment

Working...
                                X