Hutchinson Earthquake

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Hutchinson Earthquake

Oddly, I didn't feel or notice this one.
    Kung Wu say, man who read woman like book, prefer braille!

Comment

Originally posted by Kung Wu View Post
      Same here.

Comment

Originally posted by Kung Wu View Post
        Ditto here. Nor did my better half. I wonder if it had any impact on the salt mines.

Comment

I didn't feel anything either. I thought KWCH overhyped it in the title of the article, "... earthquake damages central Kansas."

Comment

Seems weird since it was so close.

Comment

I live in Hutch but was actually driving in Wichita to move my son back to WSU. My wife called me immediately after the quake asking if I'd felt it. A couple of sconces fell off our wall and our bedroom TV nearly fell off it's stand. A couple of stand-up picture frames fell over.

We will rebuild!

Comment

• Cdizzle
                Cdizzle commented
                Editing a comment
                Stay strong.

Comment

I felt one the other night around 4am right before the thunderstorms rolled in.

Comment

• RoyalShock
                  RoyalShock commented
                  Editing a comment
                  That was the 4.1 that was centered very close to the 4.2 on Friday. It woke us up. When you're that close it's more of a jolt than what we feel from those along the OK border.

• Kung Wu
                  Kung Wu commented
                  Editing a comment
                  Yeesh

One of the 11 or so quakes since last Wednesday was less than a mile from our house. A definite outlier. It was only a 2.4, so it wasn't felt.

When all of this started a few years ago I thought those seeking earthquake insurance were over-reacting. I'm not so sure now.

Comment

• Kung Wu
                  Kung Wu commented
                  Editing a comment
                  Yeah, I can imagine! Sheesh!

This is interesting quake. It has focused it energy more to the NW than to the SE towards Wichita. Don’t know if that is because of the geology or because of the fault.

The earthquakes in southern Kansas has been due to waste water injection from fracking, but I wonder what the mechanism is by hutch because I don’t think they are fracking there.

Comment

Originally posted by SB Shock View Post
                  The earthquakes in southern Kansas has been due to waste water injection from fracking, but I wonder what the mechanism is by hutch because I don’t think they are fracking there.
                  Proof or assumption? I didn't know fracking had been proven to be the cause.

Comment

• 1972Shocker
                    1972Shocker commented
                    Editing a comment
                    I don't think it was the fracking per se. I think they beleive it was the salt water/waste water injection wells causing the problem. Some of the fracked wells, especially the horizontal wells, could produce a ton of waster water that the need to dispose of.

One possible cause for the earthquakes is wastewater from injection wells. Currently, the Kansas Corporation Commission (KCC) is investigating this among the possibilities.

Reno County officials say they're also working with the U.S. Geological Survey (USGS) to determine a cause. They hope to have that answer in the next few days.
                  Two earthquakes with magnitudes greater than 4.0 rocked Reno County within the past few days, causing some minor damage and even more questions.

Comment

• Kung Wu
                    Kung Wu commented
                    Editing a comment
                    As long as the anonymous guy from California says it's okay as long as it's only a 4.5. Sheesh.

• Kung Wu
                    Kung Wu commented
                    Editing a comment
                    Yes, I am a plumber, but I am from Wichita, so now that we have established I am an expert, I just need to let you know that grounding the Boeing 737 MAX after only two crashes is unnecessary.

Originally posted by WuDrWu View Post

Proof or assumption? I didn't know fracking had been proven to be the cause.
                  It is proven that that waste water injection in disposing of fracking waste is the cause. OK has found that they have to control the rate of injection. If it gets to high, then you start seeing larger quakes.

Comment

• Kung Wu
                    Kung Wu commented
                    Editing a comment
                    Good to know. I knew they suspected it, but didnt realize they had proven it.

• pinstripers
                    pinstripers commented
                    Editing a comment
                    Kung, you are correct. Never been proven

I think it's been a correlation, not causation situation (as far as what is known, ie. not proven). But the correlation is very, very hard to dismiss.

Comment

Working...
                  X