Official Foodie Thread

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by WstateU View Post

Recently had breakfast at The Barn in Burrton; best breakfast I've had (maybe ever) in a long time… I'm telling you, it's well worth the drive. I had the 'Chicken Little' with sausage patties (killer!), but the 'Big Rooster' might be the way to go and best value. You'll be good until the next morning... their pancakes (flapjacks) are huge (that's what she said) and the prices are very reasonable.

https://thebarnngrill.com/menu/
    Finally made it out to The Barn. Had a family occasion and took a party of 11. Went at around 2 last Saturday afternoon to avoid their peak crowds. Worked out well. The chicken fried steaks lived up to the hype. Still wonder how they train chickens to fry those things. Shared several appetizers that were all good but the toasted ravioli was the favorite especially with the kids. We were all too full to try dessert. And my wife and I shared a chicken fried steak. Had a great time and everyone really liked the food. Was surprised that their business seemed to stay steady and the restaurant mostly full at that time of day. Won't be my last visit even with the 45 minute drive. Definitely would like to try it for breakfast sometime.

Comment

Originally posted by EB 22 View Post
    500+ restaurants in Wichita and I’ve narrowed down which one is my favorite.

https://www.wichitabyeb.com/2019/08/...f-wichita.html
    Wife and I went to Lola's for the first time Saturday. It was 5:30 so it wasn't busy yet. The service was excellent and the little appetizer (name escapes me) was tasty. I had the 12 oz ribeye and the wife had the stuffed chicken breast with a glass of sangria. Total was $55 pre-tax. Excellent value for the price. I have paid a lot more for a steak that wasn't as good as this one was. One other thing that was appreciated was the noise level, very subdued. We were able to have a conversation without struggling to hear one another. Highly reccomend Lola's.
    One quick note before we present the rankings: With Wichita State’s move to the American Athletic Conference, the Shockers have moved out of the mid-major club. We wish the Shockers well against Cincinnati, UConn, SMU, and more.

Comment

Owner of beloved Wichita diner facing serious health problems, his son is asking for help

Ernie Fincher, who started Fat Ernie’s Family Dining at 2806 S. Hydraulic nearly 20 years ago, has suffered two strokes in a little over a week, said his son, James Fincher. And that’s on top of the pancreatic cancer that Ernie has been battling since June.

The medical bills are going to be big, James said, and he’s not sure how much his father’s insurance will cover. He doesn’t want his mother, Cindy, to be buried under a mountain of bills, he said, and many people love his father. He decided over the weekend to start a GoFundMe campaign to help raise money to go toward his father’s medical expenses.

Help Fat Earnie gofundme page: https://www.gofundme.com/f/help-fat-...TrxftDIjRlLyAY

Comment

I have never eaten there but it sounds like a terrible circumstance for the Fincher family. I'm all for small, local businesses, especially those in underserved areas. Hope Mr. Fincher and his family can get through this and continue to serve the people of south Wichita.

Comment

Originally posted by NCAABound View Post
          I have never eaten there but it sounds like a terrible circumstance for the Fincher family. I'm all for small, local businesses, especially those in underserved areas. Hope Mr. Fincher and his family can get through this and continue to serve the people of south Wichita.
          It's not gourmet food and certainly not fancy. But it is good, homestyle comfort food with generous portions and reasonable prices. Ate there for the first time a couple months ago and will probably go back although it's a bit out of my way.

Comment

EB 22 Have you tried the new restaurant "Puerto Vallarta" (sp?) on Tyler near Central? It's a hole-in-the-wall Mexican food place, but I think you will be stunned by the quality of the food. Even the pork chimichanga was gourmet. I was very pleasantly surprised when I went there.
            Kung Wu say, man making mistake in elevator wrong on many levels.

Comment

Originally posted by Kung Wu View Post
              EB 22 Have you tried the new restaurant "Puerto Vallarta" (sp?) on Tyler near Central? It's a hole-in-the-wall Mexican food place, but I think you will be stunned by the quality of the food. Even the pork chimichanga was gourmet. I was very pleasantly surprised when I went there.
              Is that where the old Pizza Taco used to be?
              Be who you are and say what you feel, because those who mind don't matter, and those who matter don't mind. ~Dr. Seuss

Comment

Originally posted by ShockBand View Post

Yessir.

Comment

I ran across a Hawaiian restaurant in a tiny strip mall in Derby. Has anyone tried it? Looked interesting.

Comment

Originally posted by ShockBand View Post

Just ate again at Puerto Vallarta .... it's really, really good.

Comment

Originally posted by shoxlax View Post
                      I ran across a Hawaiian restaurant in a tiny strip mall in Derby. Has anyone tried it? Looked interesting.
                      Sharon's Place! The menu is limited, but her food is fantastic!

She also offers discounts to the following:
                      SENIORS (62+)
                      MILITARY/RET. (Show ID)
                      TEACHERS/DISTRICT STAFF (Show ID)
                      PUBLIC SERVICE (Police, Firefighters, & EMS – Show ID)
                      Last edited by ShockBand; October 9, 2019, 09:18 PM.
                      Be who you are and say what you feel, because those who mind don't matter, and those who matter don't mind. ~Dr. Seuss

Comment

I live in North Carolina now, but I have dreams about the Italian Nachos at Albero Cafe on east central. If you haven't been, you need to go. It's amazing. Along with the nachos, the pastrami sandwich is phenomenal. My wife gets pasta and always has to leave with a doggy bag -- HUGE portions.

Albero Cafe... great stuff.

Comment

Originally posted by WichitaStateGuy View Post
                          I live in North Carolina now, but I have dreams about the Italian Nachos at Albero Cafe on east central. If you haven't been, you need to go. It's amazing. Along with the nachos, the pastrami sandwich is phenomenal. My wife gets pasta and always has to leave with a doggy bag -- HUGE portions.

Albero Cafe... great stuff.
                          They are opening a new one at Greenwich and K-96 too.

Comment

My friend John has a couple corn-fed steers ready to butcher, delivered to Stroots at Goddard. $2.25 per pound, hanging weight. Stroots cut it as you like it, you pick it up at the store and leave a check for John and a check to Stroots for processing. Take a half, take a quarter.

Comment

Originally posted by pinstripers View Post
                              My friend John has a couple corn-fed steers ready to butcher, delivered to Stroots at Goddard. $2.25 per pound, hanging weight. Stroots cut it as you like it, you pick it up at the store and leave a check for John and a check to Stroots for processing. Take a half, take a quarter.
                              So it's $2.25 per pound to John, and then whatever Stroots charges to process?

Comment

Working...
                              X