End of the AIDS virus?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• End of the AIDS virus?

Wow, I just came across this article and thought it was interesting. So the drug isn't a cure for those that have it, but it completely stops the transmission of HIV from a person that has it to someone that doesn't. If everyone in the world with AIDS (approximately 40 million people) were to start taking the drug, it would effectively wipe it out.

Certainly this has implications for other viruses?

https://www.theguardian.com/society/...v-transmission
    Kung Wu say, man making mistake in elevator wrong on many levels.

Call me an arsehole but I'd be more excited about a cure for Cancer than AIDS. AIDS already had a cure the first time someone was infected. Wear protection and don't share needles.

I kinda like to think of diseases like AIDS as an evolutionary force. Now you're really gonna call me an arsehole.

Indeed it would be good if the breakthroughs have spillover effects on other viruses like Influenza, but I'd rather have Influenza transmission stopped and then spillover effects applied to "recreational diseases".

P.S. If you're one of the 6 people that caught AIDS from a blood transfusion, you have my deepest sympathies.

T

...:cool:

Comment

Well obviously we would all love a cure for cancer more than anything at all, but you take what you can get when you can get it from a medical breakthrough standpoint. There are a crap ton of other viruses out there -- maybe this becomes ground zero for tackling them as well?

Comment

Is this really a "cure" for HIV? If I read the article correctly, this new therapy only prevents someone from contracting the virus, but it does nothing to eliminate the virus in the host. It's great news obviously don't get me wrong, but I would love to see science developing a vaccine that kills the virus in its entirety. I'm with Cold however, cancer is a bigger priority.

Comment

Originally posted by Shox The Revenant View Post
        Is this really a "cure" for HIV? If I read the article correctly, this new therapy only prevents someone from contracting the virus, but it does nothing to eliminate the virus in the host. It's great news obviously don't get me wrong, but I would love to see science developing a vaccine that kills the virus in its entirety. I'm with Cold however, cancer is a bigger priority.
        Well that's why I said in the second sentence of this thread ... it isn't a cure. But it theoretically can be completely eradicated now.

Cancer is extraordinarily tough, because the disease mutates very quickly. Just collecting data on it is painful; as soon as you have taken a snapshot of it, it has morphed into something else again. But ... a cure for many types of cancer might now be within reach due to the substantial advancements in artificial intelligence. Artificial intelligence can and will be used for some serious evil, but it can be used for some good things too -- and I'll betcha cancer is one of them.

Comment

• shoxtop
          shoxtop commented
          Editing a comment
          Is artificial intelligence capable of more evil than human intelligence?

• Kung Wu
          Kung Wu commented
          Editing a comment
          Not yet.

• rrshock
          rrshock commented
          Editing a comment
          That's assuming big pharma will allow it...
      Working...
      X