USD259 Salaries

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by C0|dB|00ded View Post
    You ought to look at the Derby school district teacher salaries. There are grade school teachers pulling home 90k+. That's almost 6 figures just to be a babysitter with a very basic lesson plan. I got a glimpse at a "secret budget sheet" that made my jaw hit the floor. This insider also told me that public schools are NOT under funded and waste is rampant as would be expected in a government bureaucracy.

T

...:cool:
    While I agree that teachers here are generally overpaid (with benefits), I'm not sure I agree that it's just simple "babysitting" and such. Have you seen kids nowadays? A lot of them are undisciplined little pricks who you can no longer discipline or face the consequences. There's a lot of crap to deal with at these maturity levels. If it was simply a classroom full of 30 perfectly well-behaved individuals with an ABC-123 curriculum, the job looks extremely enticing and overcompensated. But, that's not the way it goes..
    Deuces Valley.
    ... No really, deuces.

- a smart man

Comment

• C0|dB|00ded
      C0|dB|00ded commented
      Editing a comment
      I certainly don't want to appear disparaging to teachers but this is Derby we are talking about and the 2nd grade... this isn't Southside Chicago high school. $90k is a pretty sweet pull for a glorified babysitter.

Sorry again.

T

My wife teaches in the burbs but her salary and benefits are pretty similar to 259. She'd ***** and moan every now and again when she taught high school because of all of the extra curricular stuff high school teachers have to do, but other than that she knew she had it good and that the perks they get are a bit unfair when compared to the private sector.

There are some reasonable, common sense teachers out there they know they have it good. I don't know if they're the majority but they're out there. It's the militant union people in the AFT mafia that push a lot of the BS. They use hysteria to scare and indoctrinate the new and fresh teachers and then bully the teachers that can think for themselves that don't join or toe their line.

Unions are shady thing to begin with but that fact that we allow them to be in the public sector is insane.

Comment

You guys were right! The document wasn't "top secret" but boy did it feel that way when it was handed to me. The copy had to have been 80lb fine linen cloth texture finish and bound oh so perfectly... the document just slid through your fingers like it was straight from the NSA. ;)

But I wasn't off on my numbers. In fact, I was low. Check out Alice J. at $97,576 (benefits not included).

The person we were talking about at the social gathering was this Derby teacher who retired at 53 making $89,000 and will now receive 85% of her salary + benefits for life. Not a bad gig.

T

Comment

• ShockTalk
        ShockTalk commented
        Editing a comment
        Also noticed that there was over 330 teachers between $37,000 - $60,000.

Boy am I glad we elected a Governor that wants to increase funding for education...

And keep in mind, all of these salaries are for basically working 9 months of the year. Summers off, Christmas break, Thanksgiving, Spring Break, vacation and sick on top of that all that. Plus they get 2 or 3 days off per month just because the Union demands it. Admittedly, some are in-service days, but that is like someone in private industry attending a conference (yes you have to go, but it's not really work).

I also have to agree with SHOCKvalue on the hours worked. Have you ever tried to find a teacher or administrator before 8am or after 3:30pm? Those places are ghost towns!!! So I guess add a 6 1/2 or 7 hour work day to the list above.
      Last edited by shockfan89_; December 13, 2018, 07:23 AM.

Comment

• Walker
        Walker commented
        Editing a comment
        LOL thank goodness for the governor and her commitment to education and her upcoming initiatives to help ensure that transgender, amputee, Mongolian-Americans have adoption rights. Lord knows all 2 of them are super oppressed and just itching to adopt. The new governor knows Kansas so well and what really matters.

Originally posted by WuDrWu View Post
      I don't know what the average salary is, but a quick glance seems like 48k-62k covers most if not 80% plus of all teachers. 20 scheduled vacation days to cover Xmas and June (so salaries are evened out, effectively giving only July off, but for all intent and purposes they get June and July off, the contract calls for August 1 start date). Plus 16 holidays. I don't know if you also get sick and other vacation days, but I'm guessing yes. Really good medical (low low premiums if you're used to private sector premiums), inclusion in the KPERS retirement scam, free Life Insurance.
      Certainly a debate that I see both sides of, but I have noticed one consideration that basically never comes up in these kinds of conversations: teachers, by and large, have a pretty fulfilling job. Teachers aren't getting paid to dump toxic sludge into the local water supply, you know? I'm sure I am shortchanging the animosity many teachers face, but I guess my point is that it's not a job that basically anyone says "but how do you sleep at night?"

I'm not sure there is good data behind how many dollars that kind of a feeling is worth in a free market system. But just like a lawyer might prefer to work for a non-profit over an oil company, a person may choose teaching for similar reasons. There is some benefit to feeling like you're making a positive difference in the world. It's just something that always sticks out to me in this debate, and I imagine resonates with many private sector folks who haven't always philosophically aligned perfectly with their employer.

Comment

• WuDrWu
        WuDrWu commented
        Editing a comment
        You can get paid to dump toxic sludge into the local water supply? Damn, where do you apply for THAT job??!! Asking for a friend.

What are the salaries of rural KS teachers? Are they facing a teacher shortage? Maybe there doesn’t need to be an increase in funding but a redistribution of wealth.

Legitimately asking by the way, I don’t know the answer.

Comment

Working...
      X