• Show
Clear All

• NCAABound
    replied
    Looks pretty blah to me

Leave a comment:

• ShockerFever
    replied

Comments on the actual renderings and plans?

Leave a comment:

• WstateU
    replied
    Baby Cakes owner wants Wichita ballpark area to be 'magical destination

Q: Wichita has a long history with minor-league ball, but it hasn't always been successful history. Did that worry you?

A: Not at all. This is my 40th year in baseball and two of my oldest friends in the sport are Eric Wedge, who was an All-American who led Wichita State to a national championship in baseball in 1989, and Arnie Beyeler, who played for Wichita State and has seven World Series rings, four with the New York Yankees and three with the Boston Red Sox (as part of the organizations). Arnie was our manager in New Orleans for two years and both of them raved about what great fans the city of Wichita and the state of Kansas have. We're enthused about looking forward, we're not necessarily concerned about the past. With the mayor's leadership and the approval of a new state-of-the-art ballpark, this is really going to be a renaissance for the community. The riverfront in downtown Wichita is going to be transformed to a magical destination.

https://www.bizjournals.com/wichita/...317&j=85356251

[img]
    https://media.giphy.com/media/l0HlN7h5UAFwKOnS0/giphy.gif[/img]

Leave a comment:

• WstateU
    commented on 's reply
    Wishful thinking...

• C0|dB|00ded
    commented on 's reply
    LoL!

P.S. Why is the Arkansas blue?

T

...:cool:

• C0|dB|00ded
    commented on 's reply
    nm
    Last edited by C0|dB|00ded; October 31, 2018, 03:31 PM. Reason: nm

• WstateU
    commented on 's reply
    C0|dB|00ded :)

• WstateU
    commented on 's reply
    nm

• 1972Shocker
    commented on 's reply
    Yes, that is discussed in the article I linked to. WstateU described it accurately. My guess is George Laham and his partners made the Chruch a nice deal.

From the article:

The developers are working with Metropolitan Baptist Church, which currently is at the property and will retain a small presence with the redevelopment.

“The land is important to our congregation and we wanted to do what is best for us and our City,” said Mason Lampkin, the church’s pastor, in a statement.

The church is going to renovate part of its existing building.

“They will downsize to a much more manageable facility,” Laham says.

He says it will fit with the new development, but “they’ll have their own unique design.”

• C0|dB|00ded
    commented on 's reply
    Will they be meeting in the pool? LOL! There's no room left in that rendering. It's all good though, we have too many churches in Wichita as it is. We need to see more congregations get off their high horse and merge with others of like faith. It's time to put away the egos. All these half-failing churches do nothing but squander God's money.

T

...:cool:

• WstateU
    commented on 's reply
    I believe that is correct. I read somewhere (I'll have to search) that the church will downsize and still have a presence at the same site.

• kcshocker
    replied
    I haven't lived in Wichita since 2000, but wasn't there / isn't there a church located at that location where the new business are shown?

Leave a comment:

• 1972Shocker
    replied
    Major development to bring restaurants, other businesses to riverfront near stadium

BY CARRIE RENGERS

https://www.kansas.com/news/business...220805660.html

Leave a comment:

• vbird53
    replied
    When does demo start? Could we get an old-timey exhibition baseball game in the spirit of Hap Dumont to send off the old stadium? Use it as a fundraiser for the NBC, or something...

Leave a comment:

• WstateU
    replied
    Originally posted by Kung Wu View Post
    They should make the new stadium look like a big glass hotdog. Then the new look of Century II will make more sense.
    i-didnt-see-that-one-coming.jpg

Leave a comment:

Working...
X