X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Veritas
    replied
    Originally posted by ArtVandalay View Post
    As a baseball fan, I'm happier with AA over AAA. It is very much a fact that your best players do not play AAA. For reference, when we were the AA affiliate of the Royals, some of the best prospects the Royals had played here before going straight to MLB. Carlos Beltran, Johnny Damon and Alex Gordon all played AA in Wichita before bypassing AAA Omaha and joining the MLB club. Injuries at the MLB level might result in you seeing those guys at AAA for rehab (as Damon and Gordon saw a few games in Omaha for rehab), but you rarely see your organizations best players play AAA for more than a few games.

So, I guess Wichita's ego might take a bruise from only having AA ball, but the baseball will truly be better and likely cheaper than AAA.
    ... and less attended, less interest, less revenue, and less prestige. Nice going...

Leave a comment:

• ArtVandalay
    replied
    As a baseball fan, I'm happier with AA over AAA. It is very much a fact that your best players do not play AAA. For reference, when we were the AA affiliate of the Royals, some of the best prospects the Royals had played here before going straight to MLB. Carlos Beltran, Johnny Damon and Alex Gordon all played AA in Wichita before bypassing AAA Omaha and joining the MLB club. Injuries at the MLB level might result in you seeing those guys at AAA for rehab (as Damon and Gordon saw a few games in Omaha for rehab), but you rarely see your organizations best players play AAA for more than a few games.

So, I guess Wichita's ego might take a bruise from only having AA ball, but the baseball will truly be better and likely cheaper than AAA.

Leave a comment:

• SHOCKvalue
    replied
    Originally posted by MikeKennedyRulZ View Post
    You will most likely see better prospects from the AA squad anyway. AAA is where over the hill players go to play out their twilight years. Much prefer AA. Plus, the Twins have a good organization.
    Hardcore pro baseball peeps might prefer AA due to talent, but literally everyone else would prefer AAA. The huge majority of folks in a seat at a baseball game are the latter. Different set of peer cities.

Sad day for Wichita, but honestly it's hard to keep track of them all. At some point you just become numb to the underwhelming nature of this town and shrug your shoulders as to what happens here. I lay my head here at night, make a living here, have friends and family here, and I love the Shocks, but LOL at everything else with this place.

Potential bright spot might be finding a different damn name/mascot.

Leave a comment:

• Veritas
    replied
    Wichita really needs to start being more progressive. It’s ridiculous the lack of population growth Wichita has had in the past 20 years compared to Tulsa, OKC, Omaha, and even the Des Moines metro areas.

AA... what a joke!

Leave a comment:

• C0|dB|00ded
    replied
    Originally posted by Veritas View Post

Oh sure... that is why all the larger cities have AAA while coyote nowhere cites have AA
    We're not a larger city. When I told somebody we had AAA coming to town they were like, "No way!". They were right.

We barely passed a 15k seat downtown arena. It took every ounce of sweat blood and tears from some great Wichitan's and that middling thing just squeaked by. And of course we built it with no possibility of expansion... The surrounding metros are laughing their asses off at us.

Everybody wanted a polished cow palace. Maybe they could have bronzed the urinal troughs. I can still smell that Britt Brown musk and feel the golden droplets accumulating on my hands. Ahhh the memories.

Leave a comment:

• SubGod22
    replied
    It's very disappointing news.

Anyone trying to claim AA is better than AAA is lying to themselves and everyone else.

Leave a comment:

• Veritas
    replied
    Major League Cities > AAA Cities > AA Cities.

AAA allows Wichita to market itself on a higher level than AA. This really is disappointing.

Leave a comment:

• MikeKennedyRulZ
    replied
    Originally posted by Veritas View Post

Oh sure... that is why all the larger cities have AAA while coyote nowhere cites have AA
    Ok.

Leave a comment:

• Veritas
    replied
    You will most likely see better prospects from the AA squad anyway. AAA is where over the hill players go to play out their twilight years. Much prefer AA. Plus, the Twins have a good organization.

Leave a comment:

• WstateU
    replied

Leave a comment:

• Veritas
    replied
    I won’t go... ever. I hope it fails miserably. AAA or nothing. What a crock of ****!!! Bad enough it’s called the “ Windsurge” but I guess that’s appropriate. I will never ever go to a AA game at that stadium. Lutz and and all the spinning fools can’t talk their way out of this freaking mess . What a letdown and freaking joke.

Leave a comment:

• MikeKennedyRulZ
    replied

Leave a comment:

• WstateU
    replied
    Originally posted by C0|dB|00ded View Post

Knew it was too good to be true. When the owner died of Covid, I wondered how our fate would end up. Whelp, at least we've got a nice place to shot fireworks over.

Leave a comment:

• Rocky Mountain Shock
    replied
    Just saw Taylor's tweet (I'm not smart enough to successfully link it here).

Fudge.

Leave a comment:

• C0|dB|00ded
    replied

Knew it was too good to be true. When the owner died of Covid, I wondered how our fate would end up. Whelp, at least we've got a nice place to shot fireworks over.

Leave a comment:

Working...
X