Wichita State Professor Locates Lost City of Etzanoa

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Wichita State Professor Locates Lost City of Etzanoa

Wichita State anthropologisat Donald Blakeslee appears to have located the lost city of Etzanoa. Very interesting aritcle if you like history.

Etzanoa has remained a mystery for 400 years. Archaeologists could not find it. Historians thought reports of a permanent settlement with 20,000 Native Americans in it were exaggerated.

“The Spaniards were amazed by the size of Etzanoa,” Blakeslee said. “They counted 2,000 houses that could hold 10 people each. They said it would take two or three days to walk through it all.”

With the discovery, Arkansas City leaders are hoping to turn their town into a tourist destination.

The discovery of a town of 20,000 could put south-central Kansas on the map as the second-biggest settlement of Native Americans found in the United States, a Wichita State anthropologist says.

Didn't we have a thread about this a year ago when this article was published? Cool find and interesting story, in any event.
    One quick note before we present the rankings: With Wichita State’s move to the American Athletic Conference, the Shockers have moved out of the mid-major club. We wish the Shockers well against Cincinnati, UConn, SMU, and more.

Comment

• 1972Shocker
      1972Shocker commented
      Editing a comment
      May well have. I don't remember seeing it. I probably should have done a search.

Well, back then it was just the Lost Village of Usdi, but since then they discovered a brothel.
    Kung Wu say, man making mistake in elevator wrong on many levels.

Comment

I think I saw an article today or yesterday that they're now giving tours of the site for like $10 bucks or something. That's probably the real news. This is super cool and I'll have to add it to my list for my next visit back home.
      "It's amazing to watch Ron slide into that open area, Fred will find him and it's straight cash homie."--HCGM

Comment

Originally posted by Rocky Mountain Shock View Post
        I think I saw an article today or yesterday that they're now giving tours of the site for like $10 bucks or something. That's probably the real news. This is super cool and I'll have to add it to my list for my next visit back home.
        Thanks for the reminder. That is what I had intended to post.

Here is that recent article: http://www.kansas.com/article208617349.html

Comment

Wow, I had actually never heard of this. Thanks for sharing. I'll need to check this out someday.

Comment

Must add a trip to Arkansas City to my bucket list... the story continues to catch momentum.

Archaeologists explore a rural field in Kansas, and a lost city emerges

http://www.latimes.com/nation/la-na-...htmlstory.html
            Last edited by Kung Wu; August 21, 2018, 04:50 PM.
            "You Just Want to Slap The #### Outta Some People"

Comment

More...

Comment

Archaeologists-digging.jpg

Cahokia_Aerial_HRoe_2015.jpg?fit=450%2C290.jpg

Comment

5adffa9023749.image.jpg

Comment

Aliens?

T

...:cool:

Comment

nm - Grrr! Uploaded a good-sized .png file. It came out too small to see. I enlarged the picture size, but attempting to resend it only put the original unreadable one back up. I'll try again
                    Last edited by Aargh; November 2, 2018, 12:35 AM.
                    The future's so bright - I gotta wear shades.
                    We like to cut down nets and get sized for championship rings.

Comment

Aargh, when you insert an image unclick "Retrieve remote ...". I don't remember what it says, but that checkbox seems to want to make the photo a thumbnail. Unclicking it leaves it the full size.
                      Kung Wu say, man making mistake in elevator wrong on many levels.

Comment

Professor, students have the chance to rewrite history

Nov. 15, 2018 -- Wichita State professor Donald Blakeslee knew something was different about this place. What he didn't expect, however, was the immediate response he would receive from around the world.

Comment

Working...
                      X