The return of the XFL

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• The return of the XFL

I'm curious about what everybody on here thinks about Vince McMahon bringing back the XFL in 2020. I'll be honest...the first go around in the early 2000s I thought it was gimmicky, ridiculous, and half-assed. This time around though, it might be different. I think McMahon is really thinking it through this time, and giving it two years to be developed seems pretty smart.

The timing couldn't be more perfect. The NFL can't get seem to get the whole catch rule down among many other stupid, trivial things that have made games long and unbearable at times. Whether or not you're for or against the kneeling for the Anthem, you can't deny the backlash, ratings dive and empty stadiums it has resulted in. For me personally, I have had no desire to watch a game for the past 2 years because of it, but even to those that don't have an opinion on it one way or another, they're annoyed that their refuge from politics and all of the other BS in life is now besieged by it. The NFL really put themselves in a no-win situation with it.

McMahon said that they want to give football back to the fans and keep politics out of it, and I think the one thing that gets left out of the equation much of the time, are the fans. Especially in an entity like the NFL that rakes in about $16 billion a year, is tax exempt and then heavily subsidized by taxpayers when it comes to the stadiums. Looks like the league will start out with 8 teams and they are looking into major to medium sized markets. Now if the mayor's "foolproof" plan of getting a AA or AAA falls through, maybe restructure the plan to build a new football stadium? I'm kidding...I know the possibility of Wichita getting a team would probably be pretty slim, but I could definitely see OKC getting one. How would you all feel about it?

Working...
X