Tax Help

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Tax Help

I am looking for help/ideas for my elderly mom to get her taxes done for under $200 that the box stores charge. She is basic and simple. It takes the agent about 10 minutes to do, but charge $200. Does anyone on SN do taxes, or know a more cost effective source to get them done. PM if necessary, thanks.

Originally posted by SHOXAAC View Post
    I am looking for help/ideas for my elderly mom to get her taxes done for under $200 that the box stores charge. She is basic and simple. It takes the agent about 10 minutes to do, but charge $200. Does anyone on SN do taxes, or know a more cost effective source to get them done. PM if necessary, thanks.
    Do them for her and don't charge her a dime -- maybe a Wu-Shock beer.
    "I not sure that I've ever been around a more competitive player or young man than Fred VanVleet. I like to win more than 99.9% of the people in this world, but he may top me." -- Gregg Marshall 12/23/13 :peaceful:
    ---------------------------------------
    Remember when Nancy Pelosi said about Obamacare:
    "We have to pass it, to find out what's in it".

A physician called into a radio show and said:
    "That's the definition of a stool sample."

Comment

The IRS has some programs that may be useful. I've used Online Taxes for several years which I found out about through the IRS website. Costs me less than $20 for both federal and state.

Learn about IRS e-file options, including Free File, to electronically file your individual tax returns.
      Its a good landing if you can walk away, its a great landing if the plane can be reused the next day.

Comment

Maybe check out the TurboTax All Free link and other options on here: https://apps.irs.gov/app/freeFile/jsp/index.jsp
        Kung Wu say, man who read woman like book, prefer braille!

Comment

I'm a CPA, I'd do them for free. If the logistical issues of me being 600 miles away aren't a problem, and if you don't want to try the free options others mentioned, I'd be happy to help.
          "It's amazing to watch Ron slide into that open area, Fred will find him and it's straight cash homie."--HCGM

Comment

Here is a link for the IRS Volunteer Income Tax Assistance program. There are some qualifications that must be met, but a worthy program if she qualifies.
            The IRS Volunteer Income Tax Assistance (VITA) and the Tax Counseling for the Elderly (TCE) programs prepare tax returns for free for qualifying taxpayers.
            Go Shocks!

Comment

Nice, I will reach out to a couple of you. I love this SN family!

Comment

I used to use TaxAct. It was free for Federal until about 1 or 2 years ago. Now it's only free for 1040A and 1040EZ. They still charge you if you want them to do your state.

Comment

Instead of relying on the generosity of others on this board why not buy, and you pay for it, Turbo Tax and do it for her?
                  An “Old West” Texas analysis and summary of Mueller report and Congress’ efforts in one sentence:

"While we recognize that the subject did not actually steal any horses, he is obviously guilty of trying to resist being hanged for it."

Comment

Well aren't you just a fresh breath of wind this morning. :)

Comment

Originally posted by JJClamdip View Post

Instead of relying on the generosity of others on this board why not buy, and you pay for it, Turbo Tax and do it for her?
                      Because I don't always trust I will do it correctly. Also, it wasn't as though I begged for the SN family to generously, for free, do my mom's taxes. I clearly stated on my original post I wanted to pay less than the $200 we have paid previously for such a simple return. It was the great spirit and generosity from the members on this board that offered to comp the cost of the time and energy to do it. But thanks for your input.

Comment

Originally posted by JJClamdip View Post

Umm, maybe if you want grandma to go to jail. Have you seen how he records his golf scores?
                        Kung Wu say, man who read woman like book, prefer braille!

Comment

Because I don't always trust I will do it correctly. Also, it wasn't as though I begged for the SN family to generously, for free, do my mom's taxes. I clearly stated on my original post I wanted to pay less than the $200 we have paid previously for such a simple return. It was the great spirit and generosity from the members on this board that offered to comp the cost of the time and energy to do it. But thanks for your input.
                          Turbo Tax is very easy to use, it leads you through the return step by step and can be used for the most simple and pretty complicated. There are two versions that you can buy the one that you would need, for simple returns, would be around $60.00 at Sam's.
                          An “Old West” Texas analysis and summary of Mueller report and Congress’ efforts in one sentence:

"While we recognize that the subject did not actually steal any horses, he is obviously guilty of trying to resist being hanged for it."

Comment

Originally posted by Kung Wu View Post

Umm, maybe if you want grandma to go to jail. Have you seen how he records his golf scores?
                            You always subtract 1 when recording a hole score on a scorecard...unless the passenger on the back of the golf cart has been dislodged from the cart...subtract 2.

Comment

• WheatShock
                              WheatShock commented
                              Editing a comment
                              Also subtract one for each beer you have consumed during a round.

That usually is equal to my handicap.

Comment

Working...
                            X